DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/4092-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q3q4.html)

Jim Montgomery August 16th, 2005 02:33 PM

And worth every nickel. I do 5 camera editing and would be lost with out it.

Jim

Kevin Red August 16th, 2005 02:52 PM

I used a panny dv-953
capture to vegas using firewire
playback through MWP and a dvd program, same thing.
Can't see the line while editing.

Danny Santos August 16th, 2005 05:15 PM

What's the best way to edit?

Most likely this question has been asked before and I apologize but I need some comfort feeling to know if I am doing it right.

So I download to my PC from my camera and have numerous .avi files.
I edit these .avi files and create an mpg2 file. However, on some occasion, I need to make changes or improvement so I go back to my edited mpg2 file and reedit and again create a new mpg2 file.

Is this a good practice OR should I go back to the original .veg file with the .avi files and create a new mpg2?

Thanks.

Andy Shrimpton August 16th, 2005 05:46 PM

Danny,

You should go back to the original Veg file.

The AVI when rendered to Mpeg2 gets compressed at a rate of about 3 to 1. If you rerender the Mpeg you get further quality loss.

Cheers,

Andy

Edward Troxel August 16th, 2005 06:56 PM

You definitely do not want to re-edit the MPEG2 file. Always go back to the original AVI files.

Dylan Couper August 16th, 2005 08:07 PM

Beauty. Thanks guys!

Tony Rockliff August 16th, 2005 08:59 PM

One thing I find myself doing more and more recently is if I have finished rendering a project and then find I want to make a change or changes, instead of re-editing it and having to then re-render the whole thing (many hours), I edit and re-render just the section(s) that I want to change and then open the original mpeg and the new short renders in MPEG Video Wizard.

I then replace the old sections with the new and save the new composite with no re-rendering. It saves many hours of time and results in a fixed movie that has not been degraded by any re-rendering.

Ryan Baker August 17th, 2005 06:32 AM

Any bundles out there including Ultimate S 2?

I'm not questioning the usefulness of the tool. I'm just asking if it's included in any bundles.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 17th, 2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Baker
Any bundles out there including Ultimate S 2?

I'm not questioning the usefulness of the tool. I'm just asking if it's included in any bundles.

Hello Ryan,
VASST does have a bundle deal where if you purchase all GrafPaks and all the ReelPaks, you save 10% on the package, it's automatic when you add all those items to the cart.

Ryan Baker August 17th, 2005 07:26 AM

DSE, thanks for the info.

Chris Hurd August 17th, 2005 10:25 PM

Vegas and HDV, Take Two

Folks, looking for opinions... is it time for us to fire up a dedicated "Vegas for HDV" forum?

Michael Liebergot August 18th, 2005 06:26 AM

Problem using video with Pan Crop in Vegas 6b

I have had issues lately trying to use Video with Pan Crop in Vegas 6b.
Whenever I try to crop in on video shot with my VX2100 using Pan Crop to a video clip, I get wavy lines going across the video.

I have color correction and color curves applied to the clips and my settings for the project are standard NTSC 4:3 29.95 Template with Interlace field set to lower and set to blend.

When I try to do the same thing using Track motion, the video is fine, with no noise in the image.

I have used Pan Crop for pictures with no issues at all.

Is Pan Crop best suited for pictures and Track Motion best suited for Video?

Thanks for the help,
Michael
LVProductions

Edward Troxel August 18th, 2005 08:43 AM

Well... I DO know the two work differently. For example, when zooming in on a photo, if you zoom using Pan/Crop you use the full resolution of the photo but zoom using Track Motion and you zoom in on the video frame. Now given that both sources should be the same when zooming on Video, you would think they would be VERY similar.

Michael Liebergot August 18th, 2005 08:59 AM

"Now given that both sources should be the same when zooming on Video, you would think they would be VERY similar."

you would think so, but they deffinitely display and encode different. I was reading on the Sony Vegas forum that I should have interlaced vide set to either interpolate or blend in the project properties and the event properties, as since Vegas gives you the option now to select you deinterlace method, the it defaults it to none, which desn't work well with interlaced video (which would be for progressive 24P video I assume).

I changed the project properties to blend, but haven't had a chance to check my event properties, to see if that is the cause of the problem. If I can't fix the problem in Pan Crop then I am still able to use Track Motion, but I find it more time consuming to do so.

Bill Binder August 18th, 2005 09:32 AM

I had this same problem when trying to create a 4:3 letterboxed version of some GS400 footage I shot in 16:9 mode. I think the problem has to do with the fact that we/you are resizing the video image in a way that creates problems when lining up the two interlaced fields per frame after each field has been resized (probably wouldn't happen if the resize was perfectly half if you see what I mean). Anyway, it's not ideal, but you are on the right track. If it is happening for your whole project (like in my case because I was letterboxing to 4:3), then leave Lower Field First set as is but change deinterlace to blend in the project settings. If you are just having issues with specific events, then leave lower field first and set to blend in the event properties. Reduce interlace flicker also helps. That should fix the waves.