DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/4092-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q3q4.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 13th, 2005 05:52 PM

As I mentioned earlier, no one in the know can comment one way or another on anything Sony has planned, release cycles or otherwise. :-) Once Sony announces it, the floodgates of information may be opened. If there are any floodgates holding any information back, that is. :-)

I love Vegas too.

Mike Kujbida December 13th, 2005 05:57 PM

Bob, go to the VAST site at http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=86a...9-d80848cbd5ca and download Celluloid. You'll need to register (free) if you haven't already done so to get the program. Ignore the fact that it says $24.99 as the basic version (only 6 "looks") is free. The nice thing about it for you is that it has a "convert 4:3 project to widescreen" option. HTH.

Mike

Gary Kleiner December 13th, 2005 06:10 PM

You've touched on one of Vegas' strongest features: uninterrupted playback while you make changes. It's hard to explain to users of other NLEs just how great a feature this is.

One of the biggest differences between Vegas and FCP/Premiere/Liquid, etc, is that the timeline is really serving as your workspace. In the other programs, you have separate windows and tools to work on the media, then you add to or adjust what's on the timeline. To me, Vegas is just more direct and intuitive and doesn't hang onto outmoded workflows that are handed down from film editing.

Gary

Sean Seah December 13th, 2005 06:14 PM

I think that would cause some clipping of the height.. thaz I set the properties as PAL but render as NTSC. Hmm I'm a little confused now..

Brent Marks December 13th, 2005 06:14 PM

Can a Photoshop Action be applied to video in Vegas?

I know...
Wild question...

But can it be done?

THANKS

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 13th, 2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Marks
I know...
Wild question...

But can it be done?

THANKS

Not so wild answer....

No.

Emre Safak December 13th, 2005 06:53 PM

Indirectly. Run the "Render Individual Images" script from Tools>Scripting, then run your action on the folder containing the images. Then you have to get them back in Vegas...

Emre Safak December 13th, 2005 07:02 PM

Synchronizing keyframe timeline to track view

I am stumped on what should be a simple task. How do you synchronize the keyframe timeline to the track view? I need an easy way to add keyframes at the "right" time. I thought double clicking on the appropriate point in the track view would move the keyframe timeline cursor, but no dice.

Aaron Koolen December 13th, 2005 07:19 PM

A few things vs FCP

- Can edit while you playback
- Better keyframing control of audio envelopes on the timeline
- Can play back, in realtime, almost anything you throw at it.
- Faster, more responsive playback of effects, especially text media. Pop some text on FCP and watch it drop frames.
- More flexible arrangement of audio and video tracks on the timeline
- Auto cross fades
- Sub frame editing
- A keypress to cut/split - (stateless editing)

These are just a few things I have noticed (Hope I'm not wrong on any RE FCP) since I switched from Vegas to FCP.

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 13th, 2005 07:20 PM

In the lower left of the keyframe toolbar, you'll see a small icon that looks like a padlock.
Select this to enable synchronizing. This is found in all filters, Pan/Crop, and Track Motion keyframe tools.

Emre Safak December 13th, 2005 07:23 PM

Absolutely right! How come mine is greyed out, though? The event in question is a Text box. Can't you do it with the Media Generator?

Bill Binder December 13th, 2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Kleiner
You've touched on one of Vegas' strongest features: uninterrupted playback while you make changes. It's hard to explain to users of other NLEs just how great a feature this is.

Funny thing is, I think I learned how great that was from a comment you made in your training video!!! LOL! Since I've really only ever used Vegas, I just figured that's how ALL NLE's worked, but when I found out that wasn't true, I just couldn't believe it, not sure I could live without that one feature alone...

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 13th, 2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Absolutely right! How come mine is greyed out, though? The event in question is a Text box. Can't you do it with the Media Generator?

Text and generated media don't get the benefit of syncing to the cursor. Sorry!

Ron Evans December 13th, 2005 08:56 PM

I have Vegas 6, Premiere Pro1.5.1 and Edius Pro3. For me Vegas strong points are audio editing and keyframe controls, I like the titler and capture utility of Premiere and Edius Pro3 is by far the fastest editor for normal DV work being able to output realtime to DV tape without rendering. Most of my NLE experience was with Premiere and Vegas LE being used for audio with Sound Forge, I upgraded when I got my FX1 to do HDV editing and since then have not used Premiere very much. Edius is my main editor for DV editing and Vegas for HDV ( since I have been cropping a 4x3 SD image from the 16x9HDV, none of the other NLE's have the fine control of Vegas for this task). Without needing the cropping there is not much difference between Vegas and Edius for HDV editing, both will edit native m2t or have the option for an intermediate. Rendering of the HDV project created to export back to tape is about the same for both. Even as a hobbiest none of these NLE's do everything I want so I am happy to use each for their strengths.

Ron Evans

Gary Kleiner December 13th, 2005 10:07 PM

You CAN export your video FROM Vegas, do your operations in Photoshop, then Import the sequence back into Vegas:

1) Tools>Scripting>Render Image Sequence
2) Photoshop actions to the images
3)Vegas File>Import>Media>Open still image sequence.

Gary