vegas 9 keeps losing clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

vegas 9 keeps losing clips

everytime I open the project I am working on, different media clips are missing, and it prompts me to specify a replacement. when I save and close, then open again, that file is fine, but now its missing another one. then I save and close. Open again and the FIRST file is missing. seems totally random!

any ideas whats going on?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ian

By default the new versions of Vegas put the media "offline" if you either close the program or just minimise it!! The moment the Vegas interface loses focus (you open something else) the media goes off line!!!

Go to "preferences" and under "General" you will find the options that need to be disabled!! Just uncheck the two options that allow the video to go offline when the interface loses focus as well as the audio!! Apply and you will have no more issues.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Ian

By default the new versions of Vegas put the media "offline" if you either close the program or just minimise it!! The moment the Vegas interface loses focus (you open something else) the media goes off line!!!

Go to "preferences" and under "General" you will find the options that need to be disabled!! Just uncheck the two options that allow the video to go offline when the interface loses focus as well as the audio!! Apply and you will have no more issues.

Chris
thanks for that, but i dont think thats my problem. in this problem. a clip will literally get lost. I get a notification saying I need to specify a replacement file for clip xyz. I havent moved the file from its source location, I havent touched it in any way. it just decides it wants to get lost.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The moment the Vegas interface loses focus (you open something else) the media goes off line!!!
I've gotta ask - why? Why would I want to place Vegas into this "sleep" mode regarding Media? What would be the advantages? And I mean this, I am not being sarcastic or controversial here.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The only advantage I can think of is that is releases the media for use in other apps, eg if I want to work on a still image in Photoshop. Of course if the media is playing you can open the file in another app but not save it.

Regarding Ian's issue, I was wondering if the media is stored on an external drive and whether the drive letters are changing. It seems unlikely but might be worth investigating.

This could be one of those 'reinstall Vegas and it goes away' situations.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
The only advantage I can think of is that is releases the media for use in other apps, eg if I want to work on a still image in Photoshop. Of course if the media is playing you can open the file in another app but not save it.

Regarding Ian's issue, I was wondering if the media is stored on an external drive and whether the drive letters are changing. It seems unlikely but might be worth investigating.

This could be one of those 'reinstall Vegas and it goes away' situations.
Don't know if it bears any relationship to the issue Ian is experiencing but I've just been experiencing another irritating (and initially baffling) glitch with 9.0b on Vista x64.

I have a 2hr+ project where the project was started in 8.0c with each scene being a seperate .veg. (As the project was started before 9.0b was available). Anyway, I decided to finish editing all the scenes in 8.0c (didn't want to change everything in mid-flow) and use 9.0b for the final render with the 8.0c veggies nested.

So, brought all the 8.0c veggies onto the TL in 9.0b added titles, additional audio tracks running across scene changes etc. and final credits.

Upon doing a final check run-through before rendering, I discovered one or two scenes had somehow lost the audio!?! So, right click on clip, open for editing in 8.0c, select ALL, move everything to the right, move everything back to the chock, save and go back to 9.0c - low and behold, audio magically re-appears!?! Go figure!

On this point, I can't find in v9.0b the option to force re-doing peaks... (which may be a shorter method for achieving the same result!?!).

Last edited by Steve Renouf; September 27th, 2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling and missing word!
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Grazie, here's the simple answer:

You say you use the script to open a photo on the timeline in a photo editor a lot. Here's your two options:

1. You leave Vegas to open the photo in the photo editor. Vegas now reports the media as "offline". You can now edit the photo, save the photo, and when you switch back to Vegas, it will automatically see the changes made.

2. You leave Vegas to open the photo in the photo editor. However, Vegas keeps the media "online". You can now edit the photo but you CANNOT save the photo because Vegas has it locked. Instead, you now need to do a "Save As" in the photo program if you don't want to lose your changes. When you switch back to Vegas, you'll still have the original photo. If you want the changes, now you have to manually replace with the new photo.

So, I definitely don't mind my media going "off line" when Vegas doesn't have the focus.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...