Vegas 6.0b is now available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas 6.0b is now available

Vegas 6.0b is now available for download. Looks like the Sony programmers have been working overtime in the four weeks since the initial release. Nice job.

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Vegas 6.0b

What might the improvements be? Will this help correct a problem users had about overworked processors?
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

All the info is on Sony's site. Here's a direct link to the changes made:

http://dspcdn.sonypictures.com/readm...gas_readme.htm

Here's a direct link to the download page:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=579
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

"A bug has been fixed that could cause unexpectedly loud output or popping from the LFE channel in a 5.1 surround project when Good or Best was selected from the Low-pass filter quality drop-down list on the Audio tab of the Project Properties dialog."

i wonder if they fixed this bug in version 5...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
What might the improvements be? Will this help correct a problem users had about overworked processors?
I wasn't aware that Vegas had a problem with overworked processors. Are you talking about to running the CPU too hard? Personally, I want my NLE to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the processor.

John
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, that's what I mean--the CPU ran the risk of heating up more, from what I understand, necessitating an upgraded cooling system or something like that. I'll check the Sony site in the meantime!
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, Vegas v6 has optimized the code for squeezing more performance out of the CPU, which makes Vegas render faster in most circumstances. Simple physics says that if you run the CPU harder, it will get hotter. However, Sony isn't doing anything that will push the CPU past its design limits heat-wise, but it will keep it near the design limits for long periods of time. Of course, any NLE will do this during a render, this is not exclusive to Vegas.

You might want to open up your computer and blow the dust off of the CPU cooler fins every once in a while. If you're running the stock Intel unit that came with your CPU, you may still want to consider upgrading to a higher performance cooler. The ThermalRight XP-90 is a great one.

John
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Is it difficult installing a cooler?
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue
Is it difficult installing a cooler?
Depends on the model. Some just screw on, others -- the more problemtic ones -- require a bit of "jimmying" with a flat-head screwdriver. Patience is a virtue -- don't drink a lot of coffee before attempting an upgrade :) I've got two of these, which are a tight fit in my dual CPU setup, but solid performers and very quiet.

Be sure to get good Arctic Silver thermal paste.

Last edited by Jim Lafferty; May 21st, 2005 at 05:28 PM.
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Also, before attempting to replace your CPU fan, which can be dangerous if you are not careful, see if the air flow in your entire case is good. You should have at least one fan in the front of the case sucking in cold air, and you should ideally have two fans blowing out the hot air in the back. You should also never encase your computer inside a cupboard of any type unless it is extremely well ventilated. And finally, keep the room cool.

Most CPU fans, unless el-cheapo brand, will do the trick, and what's actually causing the problem is proper circulation. Any fan, if simply moving around warm air, can't do much to cool a cpu.

If you must change your CPU fan, be ever so careful, and make sure to remove old thermal paste and clean with a recommended alcohol pad meant for this purpose before applying the new paste. Also, leave the computer plugged in, but off, so that as you touch the case you are grounding yourself and discharging any electrostatic shock. And finally, be very careful when applying the new fan - most good fans are very tough and unwieldy to put on, and one accidental slip of your weight and crack, there goes your motherboard.

Also, many nice fans these days have adjustable speeds. This can be really nice because if you're doing something intensive, you can turn up the fan for extra cooling, and under normal use, you can turn it down so the noise levels are way low.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:55 AM   #11
Inner Circle

You don't need to replace your CPU fan/heatsink. It is designed to work perfectly at 100% load. They typically have lots of headroom, which lets people overclock them. Basically my advice is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Re-installing the CPU fan/heatsink can lead to new problems if you don't install it following the instructions. Overheating being the most common problems. People need to stop spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The problem I had with artifacts showing on my external monitor is fixed!!!!!
Ray Sigmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM   #13
Trustee

is version b good enough to upgrade from 5 to 6? i've been hearing probs on 6a. been waiting for 6c or 6d at least. is b good enough?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

In my opinion, yes. However, the only real test will be for YOU to test it. This was a huge update. Just go look at the changes made in this version, download it, and test it out. If you don't like it, come back and tell us what's still wrong.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I downloaded 6.0b to update my 6.0a copy of Vegas yesterday.

The upgrade was very smooth, I did not even have to re-register.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...