Vegas stops rendering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Trustee

Vegas stops rendering

I render mxf to bluray stream and Vegas 8c stops rendering process at some frame, i.e. 2259 and goes to non responsive state, I can't cancel the job, i have to close it through the task Manager, I tried to shuffle clips around, but then Vegas stops rendering at some other frame with the same result, it keeps counting "Approximate time left", but nothing is going on,
I tried to remove audio track, render video to different formats, even remove troublesome clips from timeline, re-install Vegas couple times, re-imaged PC - doesn't help; I use quad 2.83Ghz 4Gb RAM raid 0 raptors, Vegas dynamic RAM preview is set to 1Gb, i'm fighting for a few days and I'm out of ideas,
any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I render mxf to bluray stream and Vegas 8c stops rendering process at some frame, i.e. 2259 and goes to non responsive state, I can't cancel the job, i have to close it through the task Manager, I tried to shuffle clips around, but then Vegas stops rendering at some other frame with the same result, it keeps counting "Approximate time left", but nothing is going on,
I tried to remove audio track, render video to different formats, even remove troublesome clips from timeline, re-install Vegas couple times, re-imaged PC - doesn't help; I use quad 2.83Ghz 4Gb RAM raid 0 raptors, Vegas dynamic RAM preview is set to 1Gb, i'm fighting for a few days and I'm out of ideas,
any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Why is your RAM preview set so high? That is robbing your system of 1GB of memory it could be using to render. Likely the issue right there. Change that to a very small number.

Also leave task manager open when you are rendering, and watch the memory. See if it creeps up toward some limit and see if Vegas fails when you run out of memory.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As Perrone said, lower your preview ram. You can take it down as low as zero, 128, 256, or around 512 max.. Setting it at 1gb might be your problem. Setting it high does not help preview as many here can testify.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Setting it high does have some benefits in some situations. When rendering, I would typically lower it back down.

My question is: Is it always on the same CLIP where the error occurs? You say you moved clips around and the place where it stopped also moved around... does the place it stops follow that clip? It's possible it could be the actual clip on the timeline causing the issue?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Besides lowering the RAM preview size as suggested, here's one more thing to try.

When Vegas stops rendering in the way you describe, launch a brand new session of Vegas and see if the render suddenly continues. Then you can close the new session you launched.

I can't explain why it works, but I accidentally discovered this long ago when Vegas Pro 8.0c would do what you describe, and doing this usually woke it up for me, and no glitches at that pause in the render, either.

Try it and post back if it works.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks guys,
1Gb is my last settings, I've tried all combinations starting from 32Mb, will try 0,
when rendering stops, CPU goes to 0% but memory stays at 1.5 - 1.6 Gb,
(I have 4Gb physical Ram plus 4Gb of paging file)
it's not a leak, it goes down to regular 200-300Mb as soon as I shut down Vegas
will try the second instance of Vegas;
thanks again, will post the progress, I'm already a few days late with the delivery :(
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Trustee

I have exactly the same issue with Vegas 8c on a new mobo PC. Wiped out the entire pc and re installed but i still have the issue! RAM preview is set to 128Mb. I'll try the launch a 2nd Vegas trick soon.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Sean, are you overclocked? could it be heat? If you're not sure, have you checked your temps?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...