Training DVDs: Kleiner, VASST, Videoguys/Duncan - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 7th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #16
Major Player

I have Vegas-related books, but I find Gary's DVD tutorials absolutely essential in showing me step-by-step what to do. It has made a big difference in my using Vegas more quickly and efficiently, so for some us a show-and-tell approach works wonders!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I know it might be surprising to hear me say this, but I actually do know quite a bit about codecs as I worked for an online music company, however that knowledge was specific to encoding for online music/audio distribution, i.e. streaming and downloading DRM encrypted files not codecs specific to video/DVD/or for film blow ups. So, although a book might be a good adjunct, the other topics I mentioned are very much specific to Vegas and NLEs in general and would be extremely valuable and appropriate in a DVD training series (and a decent overview of the relevant codes choices could also be covered).

Keep in mind that Gary Kleiner, the creator of the www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com series already acknowledged that he also feels that some of these topics would be appropriate to cover in a DVD training series:

From Gary: "As for question concerning widescreen, pullldown, etc, these are good topics, and may well wind up in The Vegas 6 Companion, but I can't promise anything at the moment."

Keep in mind that many of the training DVDs end up covering a lot more information than most books, and the real issue is that for some of us our learning style lends itself to DVDs and visual learning more than books, though admittedly I have about 15 books on Cinematography, lighting, and various other aspects of filmmaking (but I really do prefer the visual teaching style much better!) ;-)
Shawn Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Shawn,
I don't disagree. I am very new to NLE and video work so my experience and knowledge is limited and I also like the visual tutorial method! Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Mark Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM   #19
Tourist

Vegas 6 Training

I am wondering since some time has passed since the last posting if there are any additional comments that people can make re: Class On Demand Vegas 6.0 Complete Training vs. The Vegas 6 Companion?

From what I can understand they are both meant to educate from beginner to intermidiate and cover a wide spectrum of topics. any speicific suggestions would be highly appreciated.

thanks
Alla Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I can't comment on COD but I recently purchased The Vegas 6 Campanion and I am very happy with it.

I do note that there is another DVD training video on Sony's website for Vegas 6 and DVD Architect called "The Seminar Series". Check it out at:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...ct.asp?PID=993
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:54 AM   #21
Tai Poe

Staying Informed

FYI, Alla, there's a sweet Vegas 6 FASST Training Bundle deal. And, thanks to CMP Books for a new Vegas 6 Editing Workshop DV Expert Series.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM   #22
Tourist

Thank you for your advise to look into other opitons. These are meant for those already familiar with Vegas. While I've used some very basic Vegas features, I feel that I need a thorough training and thus have narrowed my choices to Class On Demand Vegas 6.0 Complete Training or The Vegas 6 Companion.

If there is anyone that is familiar with both and can comment ont he differences, I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Rozenberg
Thank you for your advise to look into other opitons. These are meant for those already familiar with Vegas. While I've used some very basic Vegas features, I feel that I need a thorough training and thus have narrowed my choices to Class On Demand Vegas 6.0 Complete Training or The Vegas 6 Companion.

If there is anyone that is familiar with both and can comment ont he differences, I would be very greatful.

Thanks,
Given the choices, I'd pick up the COD package. COD is an ethical company that you don't have to worry about.
BTW, as the author of the Vegas 6 Editing Workshop, I assure you, it's NOT written for those familiar with Vegas. Chapter two starts with "Assuming you've already loaded Vegas...."
Additionally, there are older DVD sets from both COD and VASST, both will be exceptionally applicable for the basics. The VASST Introduction to Vegas 5 covers most of what you're likely wanting to know, and it's extremely cheap.
Finally, of all the Vegas 6 offerings, the Sony series is the best one available at this time, IMO.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Thank you for your advise to look into other opitons. These are meant for those already familiar with Vegas.
Incorrect, assuming you're referring to VASST. The materials from VASST are perfectly suited for a beginner and you're doing yourself a serious disservice if you exclude VASST from your consideration. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM   #25
Tourist

Vegas 6 Training

What am I missing - right on their website in the description section for
Vegas 6 FASST, it states:

*This DVD is intended for those users already familiar with Sony Vegassoftware who want to quickly learn the new features in Vegas 6. Plus a lot more!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
What am I missing - right on their website in the description section for
Vegas 6 FASST, it states:

*This DVD is intended for those users already familiar with Sony Vegassoftware who want to quickly learn the new features in Vegas 6. Plus a lot more!
for the Vegas 6 FASST, this is correct. However, there is nothing at the basics, or even intermediate level for Vegas 6 that isn't contained in the Vegas 5 series, and for the most part, even the Vegas 4 series.
If you use the code "dvinfo" without the quotes, it will get you the Introduction to Vegas DVD for $15.00. That is a DVInfo.net-only price.

Feel free to privately email me, or one of the guys at VASST if you'd like.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
What am I missing
What you're missing is that a person can at once be both a beginner and have some familarity with Vegas. Have you considered sources in print as well as live seminars in addition to DVD? If you're really in need of a thorough training, perhaps you should explore those options as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Alla,

I picked up the Vegas 5 Editing Workshop, intending to skip "Chapter 1: Getting Started with Vegas". It turns out, that first chapter alone holds a wealth of information for both the serious enthusiasts as well as beginners.

I've already ordered Vegas 6, and can tell you these volumes are Must Haves.

Vegas more than most NLE programs (think PPRo) is so intuitive that a beginner can climb right in and instantly beginning seeing outstanding results, yet mastering it could take years.

You can't go wrong with the Vegas editing workshop books.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...