corrupt .veg file Vegas 9b - wont open at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 30th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #1
Major Player

corrupt .veg file Vegas 9b - wont open

Hi there

I have had an issue today with a project file not opening up and saying "an error occurred whilst loading the project file. The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format".

I have tried the bak up file and reinstalling vegas but no joy. The problem with using the bak up is there was nothing in the timeline. I had spent about 10 hours creating sub clips out of files so only had media bins set up...a bit annoying as now I have to start again.

I have scanned the net but not seen any posts with a similar issue.

The only thing I have done differently in this project is save without anything in timeline and I also was using the 'speed rate' adjuster in the bottom left corner a bit in order to speed up listening to the interviews (lots of them!)

Anyone had this happen, know of a fix or the likely cause, and hopefully something I can do to prevent this happening again?

Thanks

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Major Player

What is the file type on the timeline?

I've had this happed, but related to Magic Bullet. Vegas wouldn't let me open the project, so I renamed the MB.dll to another name and then could at least open the project.

Are you using any FX or plugins? If so, try remaning the .dll file and see if it will open.
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi James

Nothing on timeline (editing SDV 16x9 Mpeg2 files)

No, there werent any plug-ins loaded.

Thanks

Jamie
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Just another thought as I am re-doing the work is that I have been making several subclips occasionaly from the one video clip as they address several topics so need to go in several bins. This wouldnt be confusing Vegas I hope?
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Wild guess only so please ignore.

Maybe try opening each of the files with another viewer like Windows media player or start a new project and importing the vision files one by one and playing it in the preview monitor screen until one possibly defective file stops media player or sends Vegas insane.

Are your subclips actually new video files or preview renders which are created as new files and planted somewhere else? If one of the previews is damaged, it might be confusing things.

I had this happen with Premiere Pro 2 with a munted SI2K file which got made when someone hung a toe in a power cable and stopped the camera. Once I found the file and took it out of the batch, all was happy again. I used a repair utility on the corrupt file and that came good too.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Once again, this is a case where saving fairly frequently and to NEW file names would have been very useful. Instead of doing File - Save every 10 minutes or so, do a File - Save As and change the file name! If you're on the Pro version, my Auto Save script can do that for you automatically appending the date/time to the file name. Always good to have extra VEG files.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Wild guess only so please ignore.

Are your subclips actually new video files or preview renders which are created as new files and planted somewhere else? If one of the previews is damaged, it might be confusing things.
Hi Bob

Its my understanding that no actual new video file is created for a subclip, just a 'pointer' to the part of the original video clip. I wish there had been as I would at least have been able to find them on the PC! Thats the frustrating part..all the work I did creating subclips was lost as Im assuming all the information on the media bins etc would have been stored in the veg file.

Ive always found Vegas to be a very very reliable piece of software so hope this is just a 'one off'. Id hate to have my confidence too shaken in vegas as I rely on it so much in my work. Guess I'll go back to Vegas 8 if it happens again.

Thanks

Jamie
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Once again, this is a case where saving fairly frequently and to NEW file names would have been very useful. Instead of doing File - Save every 10 minutes or so, do a File - Save As and change the file name! If you're on the Pro version, my Auto Save script can do that for you automatically appending the date/time to the file name. Always good to have extra VEG files.
Yes Ive done that a couple of time tonite as I have been re-creating what I lost then whilst keeping the newly saved project open (with new name), I open up the old one in a new instance of Vegas to see if its OK. Only problem is that Vegas goes through all the clips I am using and creates new 'peak files' for them leaving a ton of little files in the clip folder on the hard drive.

I will check out your auto save script as it may be very handy!

Thanks

Jamie
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts View Post
I will check out your auto save script as it may be very handy!
Trust me when I say that it's a VERY handy script to have.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #10

It shouldn't need to recreate the peak file once it's created. I've seen it do that when switching versions but not from the opening the SAME VEG file. It seems odd that it would want to create the peak files each time the file is opened.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
It shouldn't need to recreate the peak file once it's created. I've seen it do that when switching versions but not from the opening the SAME VEG file. It seems odd that it would want to create the peak files each time the file is opened.
It happened after first time I saved .veg file to a new name then had original veg file open in 1 instance of Vegas, and new veg file opened in another instance of vegas. Clearly when I have two different veg projects open using same clips (in different instances of vegas), the program opens creates new peak files so there is one for each project. Now when I do this, it will just create peak files for the new clips I have added to the project since last saving to a new .veg name.

Cheers

Jamie
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #12

Are they peak files (.sfk)? Or are they more like .sfap0 files?
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #13
Major Player

They are all SFK files.

I think because I am creating lots of 'subclips', when the second instance of Vegas is opened and the project file is using the same clips (and subclips) as the project in the first instance of Vegas, it creates sfk files for any new subclips I have created so theres a peak file available for each project.

The sfk files are not 'whole clip' peak files, they are mainly subclip files as there are some long numbers in the file name which Im assuming points to the frame number in the original video file where the subclip come from.
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...