Import DVD dropping 11 audio frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Import DVD dropping 11 audio frames

I used the "file->import->DVD camcorder disc" option in Vegas 9.0b to import video from a DVD recorded on a DVD recorder attached to our camera system. Looking at what was imported I am assuming that Vegas creates an new file for each chapter on the DVD.

The problem is that 11 frames of audio are dropped at the end of each file (the audio track is 11 frames shorter than the video). Not particularly a problem except when those 11 frames happen to be in the middle of a word. The video is fine and the audio is in sync with the video, there is just 11 frames of audio missing. Has anyone encountered this problem and is there a solution?

I used to rename the VOB files to MPG but that hasn't worked with DVD's from this recorder.

Thanks
Darren Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I've always had that same issue. Audio dropout on every chapter marker on import. I was just given a couple of DVDs that imported as 10 files each. Dropped the MPEG files on the timeline - yep, there's the dropout.

I then remembered the trick used for cameras that record m2t direct to cards. The same issue occurs there but was remedied using the old DOS "copy" command. So I thought... why not - let's give it a try. And the good news... IT WORKED. No more audio dropout between the two files!

So just open a dos prompt, navigate to that folder, and then do this:

copy /b file1+file2+file3+file4 combinedfile
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys,

I tried what you suggested Edward and it worked. I had hoped to be able to keep the files split into smaller pieces but it seems like that may not be an option without adding more steps and loss of quailty.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Edward, I am having some wierd things happen after I use copy to merge the files. I can drag the resulting MPEG file into the timeline if I leave it in the folder where it was created. If I move the file to another folder and try to drag it onto the timeline Vegas and Windows Explorer lock up for about 5 minutes. Eventually Vegas and Windows Explorer "come back" and IE trys to open the file but gives the restricting scripts or ActiveX message. Really wierd!!

Any thoughts?
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

In the same folder, I noticed it took a LONG time to open. I just rendered it out to DV-AVI and now I'm using THAT clip instead.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been testing, tweaking and I came up with a solution and had a few weird things happen that hopeful someone out there might have an explanation for.

A bit of background for clarification of what I am trying to do. We have a three camera system remotely controlled from a booth. All camera feeds are recorded directly to hard drive in AVI. A DVD recorder captures a live recording as I switch between cameras. To speed up production turn-around I plan to use the DVD recording as my main track and use footage from the direct camera recordings to cover any time where the speaker walks out of shot or I have an audience shot where someone is knuckle deep up their nose. :0 Getting the DVD recording into Vegas has been the issue.

Using ripping software (outlined below) I found that the clips were up to 6 seconds longer than the clips I received when using Vegas' Import DVD camcorder Disc feature. When I pulled in one of the AVI's from the cameras I realised it was Vegas' import that was short and not the ripping that was long.

The method I settled on (after a full day of testing many programs and methods) was to use DVD Decryprt to rip and demux as outlined in this article. I then used TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress to multiplex the tracks (as Vegas won't import AC3 audio). I loaded the resulting mpeg into Vegas along with one of the AVI's and for the one DVD I've tried and there was about 1.5 frames difference over a 1:52:22 (h:m:s) video. I can live with that.

If anyone has any comments on the quality of the resulting footage from the method I've used above please let me know. Also if there are any setting tweaks that could be made or software that would be better speak up. I am pretty much a novice at this.

One of the weird things resulted from using VOB2MPG. It seemed to do a great job ripping the DVD straight to mpeg. There was a few seconds missing from the end of the clip but it was black screen so no big deal. When I loaded it into Vegas along with the clip I created above, the clips were out of sync at the end. The audio waveforms were lined up but what I was hearing wasn't. When I zoomed in for a closer look there was a point in the zoom when the waveform for the VOB2MPG clip shifted and was out of sync. One click out and everything "looked" fine again. Zoom one click back in and the shift happened again. The audio never sounded in sync but at the point above this level of zoom the waveform showed to be in sync. Has anyone experienced this?

Ok, open season, any comments/thoughts?
Darren Burns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...