Can't import QT files..unknown stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't import QT files..unknown stream

Hi all,

Boy it seems that QT is wreaking havok on my patience these days.

I am trying to export/render several projects. All used QT files encoded with the Animation codec.

So far I've done about 6 of them and they all went fine. This one project is different, I re-edited and old project of my client so instead of being an HDV one it is a regular NTSC DV project.

I just tried to open it and all QT sequences are missing from the timeline. If I try to import the file Vegas will tell me that it cannot open it. I also noticed that in the "Import" window with which I browse to a file at the bottom there is a section that shows the properties of the file you select. In that case if I select the QT file the description reads that it is an "unknown streams"...

I just spent my entire day rendering out other projects that uses the same source file and Vegas read it beautifully.

Boy this is something I hate so much. Everytime I jump to a new version of Vegas if I have to go back into a project that was edited with a previous version there is always issues...

Anyway, what is your take it this problem?

Thanks,

Philippe

**** Edit ****

Now all files are offline no matter which project I open, I mean I just open some of these projects today and rendered them out.

The drive letter is now F: but originally they were on a K:, how can I make Vegas to point to that drive and stay on it?

Obviously Vegas sees some files because all the audio tracks are present on the timelines and fully playing when attempting playback

Last edited by Phil Gosselin; October 26th, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Addendum
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Your Vegas projects seem to be full of QT - they really shouldn't be, other workflows are faster and more reliable. But that's another subject.

In order, I would try:

A full cold restart of the computer.

Reinstallation of QT.

The QT codecs are supplied and installed by the QT package that you download from Apple. It sure sounds like your QT installation has somehow gotten corrupted, perhaps by the installation of a new codec package. Many (not all) of the mega-codec packages can play havoc with your existing codecs that work.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Also, check out what Mike Kujbida wrote here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1438422-post2.html
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Seth but it looks like the Pro 9.0c update "may" finally have the fix for this problem.

Fixed an issue reading QuickTime audio when using QuickTime 7.6.4.

Hopefully this will put an end to this particular problem :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys,

Well the reason why there is so much QT in my project is because my special effect guy will only give me QT Animation renders. As you know Animation supports Alpha Channel and it is invaluable to him that the codec he uses supports that channel.

in so far there hasn't been a lot of issues with it. Even last summer when I was working full time on this project and rendering video after video (35 in total) everything was fine. Of course I wasn't trying to render in QT back then but it is the same project so all those QT files were in them.

In any case everything seems to be back to normal, Vegas now sees the files and rendering out to HQ WMV is a breeze.

As for Mike's solution, well I don't have that ITunes cr*p installed in my computers, go Winamp ;)

As for QT's version I have 7.6.2 installed

Thanks again guys :)

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The animation codec does a crappy job encoding photographic material. It wasn't built for that. There are plenty of QT codecs that support alpha channels. Avid's DNxHD, Jpeg2000, AJA's codecs, etc. He'd get better performance out of one of those (and so would you).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...