Computer/vegas problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Computer/vegas problem

This is a very unique situation.. I'm leaving out some details due to the complexity of it all. So I bought a new Dell (9gb ddr3 ram, core-I7 blah blah) that is more than suited for editing. It came with vista 64bit SP2 already installed on it. I then installed Vegas Pro 8 and edited off my internal 750gb drive without ANY problems for like 5 months.... Recently I installed windows 7 and immediately (within 5 min after installing) noticed that when I played video on my timeline, that the video preview window would hang/freeze then cause vegas to completely lock-up. I tried reinstalling it like 15 times, and even tried the trial version (vegas 9) from sony... Still, same problem. I assumed it was a driver issue so I downloaded all the latest drivers, but it still froze after a few min of editing. I desperately needed to edit so I reverted back to Vista sp2 64bit (which worked well before and works great on my laptop) and to my surprise it did the same thing... I even installed the drivers that came with the computer on a disk-and had Dell remotely access my computer to make sure the drivers were correct.. At this point I considered that it could be a failing HDD, but thought that the coincidence of this all happening was JUST after installing a new OS it would have to be a driver. But I ended up buying a new 1tb 7200 WD SATA... Same crap. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I'm certain it's not vegas since I've never had it lock-up on me before. It's something to do with my computer reading from my interal. This is the twist... It edits FINE with an external USB hooked up to it. I don't understand! I went into my power mgnt settings and made sure that my HDD doesn't sleep. No viruses on my machine either.... :(
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I should say initially that I am not a major PC geek, but I do use them quite a bit. My first thought is: is your disk partitioned? i always understood that when editing video you should keep your files on a separate partition to your OS. It is interesting to hear that Vegas is working OK from the external disk, and that supports what I am saying to some extent. If that is the problem then I guess you have corrupted something in windows. It may not be due to the new installs, it may be just something that built up over time - my conjecture.

So, the solution may be to partition your drive, shove all the files on the partition and try again...

Jon
Jonathan Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response.. I run my OS off of a separate drive. I have a full 1tb internal dedicated to video (second new heard drive installed to rule that out)... I was running a Seagate 1.5tb 7200 for my video then after this mess, purchased a 1tb WD to see if I had a failing drive... So my OS isn't on the same drive and have even tried to install Vegas to my video drive so it could all be reading from one source. And it can't be something corrupted with my os. I installed Windows 7 32bit, 64bit, then 64bit Vista. I want to think it's my graphics card but find that everything working fine up till when I installed W7. ??
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Dylan,
I'm having the same issue since the first of October. Everything was running fine on Windows7 until then. If I take my HD to my windows XP machine, everything runs great. Do we need a class action support ticket to get any response? I'm dead in the water until I get this resolved.
Bill
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Trustee

On a slightly separate issue, I realize the OP's system is an original Windows 7 system, not an upgrade installation but I think we will hear about all sorts of similar problems with a wide range of software applications now that a lot of people will be upgrading to Windows 7. In my opinion, it is not a good idea to do an upgrade installation of an OS. If a person wants to upgrade their OS, it's always a good idea to do a reformat and clean installation. It takes more time, but inevitably it saves a lot of future misery. It avoids strange system anomalies caused by baggage from the prior OS. If I were a software publisher, I would have trouble sleeping at night now that Windows 7 has been released. The rash of upgrade installations will lead to all sorts of strange "bugs" with a number of users getting upset and blaming them for the "Ghosts of OS past" that have inflicted their system.

This is true with any OS upgrade. We will soon hear similar moans from Mac users who upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I think an upgrade will solve your problems with Windows 7 and Vista. Yep, dust off that old copy of XP.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Major Player

I just moved that data drive over to my Windows XP machine, and it works great. So, that pretty much eliminates Cineform and Vegas as the culprits. Only 7 and my compnent drivers now...
Bill
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Major Player

So, Dylan here's what I did. I had to make a few adjustment to a piece on another drive that contained cineform 5D footage. I pulled it up fully expecting the same problems, but NO PROBLEMS. So, I checked this drive's security params and it was set to Full Control for Authenticated users. I Checked all of the rest of the drives security and none of them were set to full control. And that FIXED THE PROBLEM. The issue I was having with the footage on the drive I was having is gone. I think the issue is solved. Check your security params.
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...