How can I make a video file small enough to send over an e-mail? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How can I make a video file small enough to send over an e-mail?

I am using Vegas 9 movie studio platinum 9 & I made a video that is about 5 minutes long. I filmed it on my Canon 7D camera at 1920x1080 30 fps. No matter what settings I try to set Vegas it seems I cannot get the file size under 10mb thus cannot send a video in yahoo. When I select the command to "publish project to web" it states "cannot get provider information from server".

I see people posting videos with 7D footage & I am wondering if anyone can tell me how I can post videos or send them to friends? Is there a way to reduce the file size or is that not the issue & I should be sending video or posting them a different way?
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

Sign up for a Vimeo account (it's free), upload your video, and send your friend a link in an email.

~jr
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Jeff

Another way to send a large file is to use YouSendIt.com. This is free use, limiting file size to 100 mb per file-- pleanty for your need. I exchange files all the time through them.

I am not sure about Platinum, ie., what codecs are on board, but in the set up provided from the custom changes to the Ipod 320x240 using Mp4 (MainConceptAVC/AAC), I got a 4:45 piece to 12.5 megs. It is blocky, but droping the maximums and the average a bit more will like you get you there too.

Also changing the frame rate to 24p would work too.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I make a video file small enough to send over an e-mail?-small-file-render.jpg  
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano View Post
Sign up for a Vimeo account (it's free), upload your video, and send your friend a link in an email.

~jr
John:

Thank you for the suggestion. I plan on signing up this week.

Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Chris:

Fantastic, you helped me again! I already sent my first video using YouSendIt.com In the future I will consider the settings you suggested, especially when it goes over 100mb per file.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just as a side question, when you sent it via Yousendit, what was the upload speed?

The reason I ask is that most of the stuff I shoot has to be sent via FTP, and the best I get upstream is 92kbps..

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Longden View Post
Just as a side question, when you sent it via Yousendit, what was the upload speed?

The reason I ask is that most of the stuff I shoot has to be sent via FTP, and the best I get upstream is 92kbps
Would that not depend on your service provider?

YouSendIt has been a lifesaver for me on many occasions. I have a Client Portal on my website that clients can log into and download approval copies of videos, leave comments, upload logos and scripts etc etc. However, I have had problems with large file uploads dropping out before they complete and YouSendIt has dug me out of those holes admirably. I have now started using the Outlook plugin as well as the desktop YouSendIt - both fantastic add-ins to a great service.

If I had one criticism it is that the links are only active for a week and I have had several clients who have not downloaded the attachments in time and then moaned at me for sending them a dud link (I know, education!).

OK, a second (minor) criticism is that on a number of occasions clients claim to have emailed me in response to a YouSendIt email, but of course they have replied to YouSendIt.

Oh, alright, a third niggle is the 100 character limit of the email message you can send with your file. That's pretty useless.

But hey, this is a FREE service (at the level I use it at - there are paying options as well) and as a backup for me it works, even if these free services might send out a 'cheapskate' message to clients.

Even with the odd niggle, YouSendIt gets a hearty recommendation from me.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...