Dual Computer Monitors vs. One 30" Monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener View Post
You might think this is over the top but I use 4 monitors at work. I only have one at home & it is where I do editing but I can tell you dual monitors is something that falls into the category of you dont know what you are missing until you try it.
Do you also edit at work on 4?! If so, what (in Vegas/Windows) do you place on each monitor?

I agree with your comment about dual monitors; I use two at work (non-video job) and can't imagine going back to one any more than I can imagine life without a microwave oven...or opposable thumbs. I'd use 3 if I could (monitors, that is).

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Single 24" at home but a 3 monitor set-up at work.
A pair of 19" LCDs and a 15" JVC broadcast monitor for colour accuracy and luminance levels.
Call me old-fashioned (which, after 35 yrs. in this business, I guess I am!!) but, until the world's last CRT hits the recycling depot, I'll continue to check my projects on a properly set up CRT.
To paraphrase an old line, if it looks good there, it'll look good anywhere - and it always does.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #18
Major Player

Two 22” computer displays + One 15”CRT + one 46" flat screen

I tried using a 30” but found it needed to be placed quite far away from my sitting position, and I found myself awkwardly looking up or down a lot.

I now have two 22” Benq displays and one 15” CRT display. With two 22”s it’s easier (for me) to look left or right than up or down. I use a large flat panel above my head for client preview when needed.

A bit off topic…

There is a myth that nobody makes CRTs anymore. NOT TRUE JVC still has a handful of CRT monitors for broadcast CRT Monitors (I think Ikegami does too?). A while back Mike Kujbida pointed me towards JVC CRTs over my now discontinued Sony PVM. My JVC TM-H150CGU was cheaper, has flatter more accurate colour, a larger screen, higher rez and translates better to other screens than my Sony. …did I mention it was cheap, really cheap:)

My workflow…
I edit with Cineform in HD using a CRT for general monitoring and colour correction using Windows expanded desktop for my two displays, and use Vegas’s Preview Device function via firewire (OHCI Compiant IEEE1394/DV) out to my CRT.

When and if a client comes by, i switch to the large flat panel using Vegas’s Preview Device function via Windows Secondary Display via my video cards HDMI out – though I do lose a desktop this way.

…The beautiful thing about using a CRT with Cineform via firewire out is it preserves colour space so I thankfully never have to worry about colour issues.

m
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Major Player

I prefer dual 22" and 37" HDTV (1080p).
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Reid View Post
Do you also edit at work on 4?! If so, what (in Vegas/Windows) do you place on each monitor?

I agree with your comment about dual monitors; I use two at work (non-video job) and can't imagine going back to one any more than I can imagine life without a microwave oven...or opposable thumbs. I'd use 3 if I could (monitors, that is).

Steve
I use four monitors as well (one 24" and three 16"). I use the largest just for playback, and stretch the timeline across the three smaller ones. There is always stuff to to dispaly, and it's helpful when switching between programs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...