6GB memory vs 8GB memory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Major Player

6GB memory vs 8GB memory

All other things being equal, will I notice a differennce in rendering times upgrading to 8GB memory over 6GB memory?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, Vegas 9.c.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Stephen,

This will be dependent upon several factors, such as actual system configuration, the nature of the projects you are working on, and what else is running on the system.

(This link shows some of the O/S configuration considerations:

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

It also illustrates Microsoft's penchant for placing arbitrary restrictions on various versions of their products, but I'll not start on that!)

Looking at the 2nd row of the table shows that if IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE is not enabled, then it doesn't matter how much ram you have, Vegas will only get 2 Gb. The default is to allow large addresses, but still worth being aware of.

Are you still running with a pagefile? Previous versions of Windows have insisted on writing to it if it was there, even if it was not necessary. Disk I/O is the enemy of high performance. Disabling it would probably be beneficial.

If nothing else (large programs/processes -- After Effects, Lightroom, Photoshop, Acid) are competing for the memory resources, then you are unlikely to see any difference.

The nature of your project will also have an impact. E.g. if you are using several clips in a multi-cam edit which all reside on the same drive, you are likely to experience I/O contention; the project will be competing with itself for access to the clip data. Lots more ram will be only of limited assistance, whereas spreading clips across many drives might.

CPU Cores (number and speed) are still very important.

So, chances are it will not make a significant difference, but on the other hand, I would always prefer to have more rather than less.

If you decide to go with it, I would be interested to hear your experience.

Ciao,

mark
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

But wait, doesn't Vegas use a maximum of 3.5 gigs of RAM?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm going to say... odds are NO.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
All other things being equal, will I notice a differennce in rendering times upgrading to 8GB memory over 6GB memory?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, Vegas 9.c.
No. Not unless for some reason you had so many other programs open you were actually hitting your swap file. But that's unlikely with 6g ram in a 64 bit OS.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You will notice absolutely NO difference in rendering time. Don't waste your money.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback!
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...