Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show

I am just new to using Vegas 9 pro. I am trying to superimpose either a JPEG or PNG still image over the top of my video. I've tried it multiple times and each time I get different issues. Basically, it either doesn't show up in the Preview window, or when it is on the timeline, looks like a solid read box instead of a thumbnail of the photo. Sometimes it does show up, but then will dissappear.

Here is my set up:

Camera: Sony HDR-SR12 shooting AVCHD
Editing Properties - see screenshot
Computer: Custom Built 64 bit machine using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
8 GB Memory

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show-vegas_red_photo.png   Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show-vegas_2.png  

Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show-vegas_3.png   Vegas 9 Still Photo Superimpose Won't Show-vegas_properties.png  

Jamie Dull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Without knowing any of the image details, it's kind of hard to offer a definitive answer.
Feel free to post one of each (JPEG & PNG) so that we can test it and report back on our findings.
For example, are these full size images that you're shrinking down as required or are they on transparent backgrounds?
JPEGs generally won't work as it's much harder to get a transparent background with one.
For that reason, I always use PNG for graphics that I create in Photoshop with a transparent background.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

At first blush I'd suspect this has nothing to do with project, media, or computer properties, and something to do with your familiarity with making Vegas do what you want.

Am I right that this is your first attempt at Picture in Picture?

There's a couple basic concepts that are extremely important in this, keyframes and the sync cursor control.

I highly recommend Edward Troxel's excellent newsletters as a great place to start with these concepts. You're going to want to start with Volume 1 issues 2, 3 and 4, and Volume 2 issue 8. But then, you're going to want to read them all...

Don't be discouraged by the use of previous versions of Vegas in the older newsletters, this functionality has been basically unchanged over the development of Vegas.

Hope this helps. There are other instructional resources, too, but Edward's newsletters are very acessable and easy to use for most people.
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

my take at first look-since the text image shows RED in the timeline is the size of the image. Sometimes when the image is too big Vegas has a hard time seeing it and it shows RED like your's does. This has happened to me so many times it's not even funny. Knowing that I need to resize somethings smaller and still I forget, ooops, RED!
Not knowing for sure but just a thought.
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Jamie

I would also check your preferences!! They caught me out beautifully and I see the dreaded words "Media Offline" on your screenshot!! The default with Version 9 is that if you minimise Vegas, all media goes offline!! You can uncheck the media offline option for both video and audio in general preferences...I minimised Vegas to get some audio and when I went back into Vegas half my stuff was gone!!! Leave both options unchecked!!!

I always try to make my stills the "correct" size!! For normal 1440x1080 video that would mean your still needs to be 1920 x 1080 (due to the pixel aspect ratio) I would try a resized still as well and see if that helps????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the help

Thanks to everyone who responded. I took a closer look at the image. It is a PNG, and is 2908 X 796 pixels. I have used keyframes to manipulate photos before, but I am sure I have not fully mastered the technique.

Seth, I read all of Ed Troxels excellent tutorials. Thanks for pointing me to them. I will no doubt read many more of them.

In one of the Sony training videos for Vegas 9, they mention that it has improved support for larger images up to 4096 X 4096 pixels?

As far as Media being offline, it just goes offline when I am using my screen capture program to grab the screen shots. Media was not offline when I encountered my initial problem,

I ended up putting the photo in a blank project. I found I could manipulate the keyframes exactly as I wanted. I then rendered it and then put in back into my original project. Kinda klugie, but it worked.

I really appreciate what a great community this is,and how I can get great practical advice from experienced users. Thanks again to everyone.
Jamie Dull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...