Vegas Pro 9 Render settings for Vimeo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 26th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas Pro 9 Render settings for Vimeo

What are people using as render settings to upload their files for the best quality/smallest file size?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

talking about HD:

I use the mainconcepts AVC/AAC (mp4) template with the folowing render settings (custom): 1280 x 720, profile: main, frame rate: 29.97, Field order: progressive, PAR: 1, Num. of ref. frames: 2, check Use deblocking filter, Variable bit rate with 2 pass, Maximum (bps): 8,000,000 and average: 5,000,000

.... very good results so far.... Vegas 9 brings a new HD web ready template in the Sony AVC templates that I haven't tried yet.....

good luck
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Are Vimeo and youtube videos always NTSC?

Should PAL users convert to 29.97 fps before uploading?
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Dugi

I have always encoded my web video at 30fps. If vimeo or YouTube don't like your frame rate then when they encode they will change the frame rate anyway. The General Public will be uploading a real variety of files so the hosts would have to make allowances for that and be able to encode to a common file. I have noticed that some YouTube videos will have interlacing lines on them so it looks like they don't encode to progressive if the source file in interlaced as most home video will be in interlaced format.

There was an issue with Mainconcept AVC templates in Vegas 9 and I did read that you should be using the Sony MP4 template ...dunno if that's been fixed yet???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Interesting Chris. I've never thought about encoding to NTSC.

Care to elaborate on the Main Concept AVC problem in Vegas 9 so I can check for it?
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Dugi

To be honest I just read about it here!! It was some advice that only one of the MP4 templates work well with web video and the other has issues.
I don't think that the TV system is an issue with web video as your video is rendered with square pixels without any interlacing. The only issue with PAL/NTSC is the frame size in SD (720x576 and 720x480) and the horizontal pixel aspect ratios are different. With web video your pixels have a 1:1 aspect so TV systems don't feature.

Admittedly I still render my video out to MPEG2 as most people in this part of the world sport a massive 50" LCD TV in the living room but only have a stanard DVD player...BluRay players are very scarce!! They usually give me away if you buy a big screen TV but people still don't use them!!! I shoot around 40 weddings a season and not one person has ever asked for HD !!! (I shoot on HD but transcode the footage back to SD and produce a normal DVD) I actually host my own vids for couples but I zap them out as MPEG2's and then use Flix8 to convert to FLV format as my player doesn't seem to like MP4 for some reason!!!

Chris
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugi Barr View Post
Are Vimeo and youtube videos always NTSC?

Should PAL users convert to 29.97 fps before uploading?
Vimeo and Youtube (and any other online site) are never NTSC or PAL or SECAM. They know framerates. They have a maximum, which is generally 30. So upload anything you want.

These aren't broadcast stations so the idea of NTSC/PAL simply doesn't apply.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification chaps.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Major Player

[QUOTE
I use the mainconcepts AVC/AAC (mp4) template with the folowing render settings (custom): 1280 x 720, profile: main, frame rate: 29.97, Field order: progressive, PAR: 1, Num. of ref. frames: 2, check Use deblocking filter, Variable bit rate with 2 pass, Maximum (bps): 8,000,000 and average: 5,000,000

[/QUOTE]

I have been using those setting in my last two videos on Vimeo, but the video somehow is coming out stretched, any ideas of what am I doing wrong ?
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

What specs are in your source footage?? With a PAR of 1 your video relies on the correct frame size to display correctly. 1280x720 has an aspect of 1.777 to 1 so your source also needs to have an aspect ratio the same otherwise it will be stretched.

That might be the problem??

Chris
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Major Player

Chris, My project source is (1140 X 1080) PAR is 1.3333, I render to AVC/AAC (1280 X 720) with the PAR 1.3333, I know I am downsizing so what ratio should I be using ?
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Michael

I think you mean 1440 x1080 not 1140. The PAR is indeed 1.333 to 1 but if you render to MP4 with a PAR of 1.33 you are effectively stretching the movie by another 1.33 times ..hence the stretched look. If you did a still off your 1440 video it would actually be 1980x1080 so all you need to do now if follow the instructions of the previous post and set your PAR to 1 ...all web video has a PAR of 1 ...only TV's can process wider horizontal pixels

So your settings will be : AVC/AAC (1280 X 720) with the PAR 1 and Field Order as Progressive

You will now find that your video is the correct "width" in either Vimeo or YouTube

Chris
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Major Player

Thank you Chris, I changed the PAR to 1 on the render to MP4 and that worked.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...