clean up sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Trustee

clean up sound

I have Vegas Pro 9 and I have Bias SoundSoap 2.2 as an audio cleaner.

The other day I did some video recording over about 30 mins and at one point - a short section I need - a plane went over and I need to remove that sound. Also for some reason, some crackle developed in a later recording that I also need, and I need to remove that also.

I'm sure I have had SoundSoap automatically recognised by Vegas in earlier versions, but it does not recognise it now in v9.

Also, I just want to clean up short clips of audio on the timeline, not the whole soundtrack.

Can anyone help me with how to go about this? Thanks
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Have you told Pro 9 that SoundSoap is your default audio editor?
Options > Prefs > Audio > Preferred Audio Editor.

For cleaning up short pieces of a long clip, here are a few different ways to approach it.
One is to split the clip while it's on the timeline and do "Open copy in SoundSoap" on it.
Another is to create a subclip from the Trimmer and do "Open copy in SoundSoap" on it.
A third is to open it in the Trimmer, choose "Open in SoundSoap", modify it, do a "Save As" and replace it on the Vegas timeline.
If there are other ways, I'm sure they'll be suggested.
Hope this helps.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Mike. That seems to be what I'm after.

However...when I click on a clip and call up SoundSoap, the video on the timeline turns bright red and stays that way. It still plays ok but is no longer visible as a picture.

Why so?
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry Renton but I'm using Sound Forge and haven't had that problem.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

SoundSoap works find in Vegas Pro 9.0c so you should probably try and figure out why it is not being recognized. It is a VST so make sure that Vegas Pro is looking in the correct place for it. Go to Options | Preferences | VST Effects and make sure that the VST folder that SoundSoap was installed into is being searched. Normally VST's should be in "C:\Program Files\VSTplugins" on XP or "C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTplugins" on Vista/Win 7. This is also where Vegas looks by default.

I have no problem applying SoundSoap as an FX in Vegas Pro 9.0c 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit so if it works there it should work everywhere. I have had mixed results with using "Open In ..." where the application wasn't Sound Forge. :(

~jr
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks John.
Ok, I now have Sound Soap appearing in the Plugin Manager. How do I now call up SoundSoap so as to work an audio event on the timeline?
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Sponsor: VASST

To apply SoundSoap to just an audio event, you have to:
  1. Right-click the event and select Apply Non-Real-Time Event FX.... This will open up the plug-in chooser.
  2. In the Plug-in Chooser can select BIAS SoundSoap VST. This will open the SoundSoap 2 interface.
  3. Press Learn Noise button in SoundSoap 2 and use the Play button at the top of the FX window to have it take a sound print.
  4. Once you have a sound print, set the Broadband option to Noise Only and tune the Noise Tuner until you can't hear any of the audio that you want to keep (i.e., you only hear noise).
  5. Finally, set Broadband option back to On and adjust the Noise Reduction knob until you have reduced the noise sufficiently without affecting the tone of the audio you want to keep.
When you are finished, press OK and you will be prompted to save the file which will be added as a Take. Make sure to select the proper render template to keep the audio at it's original quality. Usually Vegas gets this correct but check just in case.

It should be noted that using SoundSoap this way will put the audio out of sync. For some reason it writes the audio late to the file so it will lag. You'll have to manually shift it left to sync it up again.

~jr
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks so much John. I'll try all that out tonight.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...