Render Vegas temp files to different hard disk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Render Vegas temp files to different hard disk

Ok I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. I don't have Vegas yet so if this is "common knowledge" I appologize.

I am trying to figure out if you can set vegas up so that it writes any files (INCLUDING TEMP FILES) to a separate hard disk instead of to the disk where Vegas is installed. I assume you can render to where ever you want, but is there a way to change where the temp files are stored as you render, etc.?

I'm leaning towards getting vegas, but I'm trying to figure out if this is an easy thing to adjust or not so I know what I'm getting into before I drop $500

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chad
Chad Schweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

...is there a way to change where the temp files are stored as you render, etc.?

Not so much for rendering as setting your general folder locations somewhere other than C:\Documents and Settings\etc.
The first place is at the Temporary files folder option at the bottom of the Options > Prefs screen.
Next is the Prerendered Files folder option in the File > Properties > Video screen.
The last is the Recorded files folder option in the File > Properties > Audio screen.

Then, when it's time to render the project, please make sure you're rendering to something other than drive C.

What most of us like to do is create a master folder on drive D (or whatever your 2nd drive is called), create a master project folder on that drive and keep ALL your project assets in various folders (eg. captures, stills, music , graphics, voice-overs, etc.) on this drive.
It makes doing backups much easier :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

File - Properties will let you set the Pre-rendered Files Folder and Recorded Files Folder

Options - Preferences will let you set the Temporary Files Folder and the VST install location folders
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward.
I forgot about the VST folders.
Semi-related is Options > Prefs> Audio to select a preferred audio editor (Sound Forge, Audition, etc.)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5
New Boot

excellent! thanks guys... I have multiple partitions on a couple drives and 1tb drive that I'm going to dedicate for video files until I can get a decent sized solid state or OCZ's Zdrive (yes just because I like to try new gadgets).

I was pretty sure there was a way, I just wanted to make sure so I could plan ahead.
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Chad,

I would use a seperate drive, not a partition!!
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
New Boot

yeah. definitely a different drive. different partition is going to slow you down just like using the same drive that the OS is installed on. I used partitions because I have multiple OS's booting and the partitions are for them and a shared partition for my common files... I don't have a dedicated computer for the editing until I finish rebuilding one of the other towers I have lying around. I know this isn't ideal, but it is what it is at the moment. But the terabyte drive is not divided and I have will have nothing else on it.
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
[i]..

What most of us like to do is create a master folder on drive D (or whatever your 2nd drive is called), create a master project folder on that drive and keep ALL your project assets in various folders (eg. captures, stills, music , graphics, voice-overs, etc.) on this drive.
It makes doing backups much easier :-)
I like doing this on e-sata so I can open projects on a second computer. Laptop eg.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...