Comments on archiving to Vegas .mxf, HD, 422, 50mbps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Comments on archiving to Vegas .mxf, HD, 422, 50mbps

Hi Vegas users.

I have a workflow question using Vegas Pro 8c and the Vegas mxf render.

I have a project due for completion in 2012. The outcome will be finally in HD -BlueRay, but with SD updates along the way. Source material will be from a variety of HD cams including XH-A1 (HDV- 50i) and 5Dmk11 (25p when firmware updates) as well as DSLR timelapse sequences. There could be other cams in the mix given the longer timeframe.

Using cineform HDlink I convert the 5dmk11 files to cineform AVI and if needed also the m2t, though Vegas will now play and render m2t if not too many effects.

What I would like to do is select the important cuts and archive in a managable way for future updates and final project. I am thinking that rendering all selected cuts including the cineform avi's to the Sony .mxf at HD 422, 1920x1080, 25p, 50mbps could be the way to go. The file sizes are much smaller then cineform .avi's. Vegas does not need to re-render if no effects and when rendering back to the same mxf (ie Keep everything in mxf untill final outputs required).

Can anyone see any major pitfalls with this process? Any problems with going to .mxf 1920x1080, 422, 25p, 50mbps for archiving for use back on a Vegas timeline?

The quality looks good, the file size very managable and Vegas loves the format.

Many thanks,
Robert
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Only problem I see is a major loss of information when going to that format. 50mb MXF is quite lossy, especially compared to the Cineform files.But if the quality is "good enough" for you, then have at it. It's Vegas' best proxy format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...