Which render format to put a video on a Nokia cell phone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Which render format to put a video on a Nokia cell phone?

Hola guys ,what are your recomendation on project-rendering settings for a video that i should put on my cell phone nokia?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Major Player

dont you have to tell us what nokia ?
myself i often choose a MPEG4 method, which would be divx or xvid or if all else fails MSes Mpeg4. i prefer the xvid.
Then i encode it to either the exact resolution of the devices display screen, or exact 1/2 1/2 resolution of the display screen. a good reason for not using major high resolutions like 400x640 and 800 is the tiny processors cant keep up with the data, and it is better to have 1/2 1/2 resolution when having low data quantities, just like on your main computer how you can have a 720x480 being displayed fine on a 1600x1080 monitor. So if you have to crunch it, AND get the data rate down, it is better to work with lower res than to have artifacting all over the high res, or frame burping because it cant keep up with the quantity of data. Myself i want full frame rates, because balking and burping suck.
if the device has a low res screen like 200x200 240x320 and all that stuff, then i would encode it at that exact resolution, because they can keep up with that fine.

myself and others often find that the best way to do this, is feed a good hi-Q video into virtual dub.
once in virtual dub, i doo all Sorts of things to get it to play beautifully on a tiny screen
crop it as needed to get it nice and close without loosing important stuff
adjust the levels to a bit brighter, and tuned to the screens Luma clipping,so it can be seen outdoors.
Sharpen it more than normal
Up the saturation a bit
then temporal filter it
color smooth it for mpeg4
then crunch the audio into MP3
then 2 pass encode it into tiny files.

sounds like a lot of stuff huh? but V-dub saves the processing settings, so it can be repeated once set up. i can feed stuff to the phone PDA GPS device and all that using those methods, and it looks better than "Demo" videos on the device itself.

the easier method is to get one of them One Shot quickee converters for the phone stuff, and just wip it out with no concideration as to the display size or type, and that works fine too.
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Nokia n97 mini
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Major Player

same screen as the 5800 and 97

recomended quickee converters
Super
Format Factory
TotalVideoConveter
Handbrake
Any Video Converter Freeware
Xvid4PSP
(many of these are no-cost converters, most of them dont have much control, but they do have ease and speed)

using "super" which does have some control, but puts a lot of crap on your computer, that possibly could cause codecs to change and adds in DS filters and all.
my parameters are :
MP4 Container (you can also use 3GP nokia but why
XVID output codec (you can also use Divx or 3gp, or mpeg-4 )
AAC LC output audio codec (i wish it was mp3, but it works)

do not use direct show- causes error with xvid codec, just know that Direct show will not always work and is show in error when starting the encode.

VIDEO
Video Size - the unit is a 360x640 device, so you have 2 logical choices enough BITS in a 360x640 or a nice 180x320 (2x2 scaling) that will crunch with less compression artifacts. either of those will work, with the HI being good for TV playback (using a high enough bitrate) and the low being completly sufficient for unit plaback.
Aspect 16:9
Frames/Sec - MUST be the exact same as the file, generally that is 23.976 for movies 29.97 for US type video
Bitrate - Your choice, the bigger it is the More data, and often quite unnessisary. i can get an awesome video down to 100MEG for each hour of video for unit playback.

Options-
Hi Quality (always)
Top Quality - this works in conjuntion with the bitrate, if you have it selected it wont DO a Low bitrate
Stretch it - only if you have the aspect correct original
Crop Pad - Very usefull for cropping exstreeme wide movies, and for "zooming" up the center of the pic for tiny device viewing, like crop out 10-20% around the edges, watch your aspect ratio.

Audio - say 24000 2 channel stereo at a 128 bitrate

then plop your files on the program (drag and drop) process a short one, and see where your at, then adjust as nessisary
because the MP4 container and the codecs used and all, playback on the main PC is not always possible, so use the PREVIEW last video (in super) to see it on the PC, or use VLCplayer. the aspect will NOT show correct on the preview.

that is it, total pain in the butt, and you might be better off with something more simple, but the results are UP TO YOU :-) they can be wonderfull, or it can be a VERY small file either way.

ASPECT and FRAME RATE dont blow these 2 things, frame rate will WORK but it will look like crap with a frame rate change.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Marty i really appreciate your help and all the pacience to write all this stuff

thank you so much
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...