Vegas 8 timelapse with d90 stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Vegas 8 timelapse with d90 stills

Ok guys, i guess if u don t have a dslr camera u can't help me. I need to know :
1: how to set a D90 to shoot thousands pictures for a timelapse
2: how vegas 8 will handle pictures that big coming from a d90?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Issue #2: Vegas Pro 8 does not like large picture files. So you can either shoot in 2144X1424 or shoot full resolution and resize them all as a batch in PS.

The image scaler in Vegas is no match at all for the one in PS. So ideally, you would scale them all to the project dimensions (probably 1920X1080) before dropping them on the timeline. Vegas seems to work well with png files, but jpg are good too.
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Marcus,

I can't answer your d90 question, but I just tried a timelapse in vegas 8.0c using over 3,000 5d2 jpeg stills - it's really pretty darn easy - as long as all of your images are in sequence. When you import media - V8 gives you the option to select 'import as image sequence'.

Here is what I managed in just a few minutes of messing around

YouTube - Bridal Exhibition Timelapse.mp4
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Trustee

@ken: i know how to import image sequence.In yout TL(very cool) did u resize the pic?
@jeff:what should i do to resize em in PS?
thx a lot
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi -

I can answer your first question, in a way... You either need software to control the camera (ranging from Nikon Capture to the free gphoto2 for Linux), or you need a device called an intervalometer. There are lots of them available, many for under $200. Instructions abound on making your own too, if you are into that sort of thing...

Personally, I have been using gphoto2 on a netbook running OpenSuse. I think I prefer this to a dedicated device, as the netbook affords some additionally functionality, such as image review and minor processing.

For the few time lapse shoots I have done with my D70, I have scaled the image on the X axis, then cropped the Y axis to the proper resolution, then imported into Vegas. Here is the result of my first shoot, which was done from my air conditioned office on a very hot summer afternoon:

YouTube - Clouds Time Lapse, Take 1

Good luck!
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Trustee

To resize the images if you don't already have PhotoShop, you could use IrfanView which is a free and well-known download.
The batch processor/rename function is easy to use and gives good results with the correct settings in the "Options" and "Advanced" tabs. You'll typically need to add a small amount of sharpening to any resized images (like 4 to 6 on a scale of 1-99).
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Trustee

Is it easy to do with nikon capture?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...