.m2t format from SonyFX1000 back to .m2t losslessly? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

.m2t format from SonyFX1000 back to .m2t losslessly?

Hi there.

Enjoying my new camcorder when the weather and my health (which is never dependable) allows me to 'get out there' and shoot.

VEGAS pulls in the video from my Sony FX1000 as .m2t files. (Do I have a higher definition option by the way using Vegas re capturing footage from the camera?)

Now if I want to rerender some edited video losslessly down to a file I can further work with later, do I rerender back to .m2t format or something else?

What are the optimum project settings for lossless rendering in Vegas (using default .m2t files)? Anyone have a preset for me to use - maybe?

Hope I'm not asking too much. Just want to provide the best/cleanest video for viewing and editing (at a later time) possible....

Your suggestions are GREATLY welcome, as always!

Martin Bannet
Martin Bannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

"Best" and "cleanest" are difficult terms to deal with. There are always "better" and "cleaner" approaches out there, usually, we're trying to determine "how good is good enough for (my project, client, standards, etc.)".

First, M2T is far from lossless. It's a very lossy codec. If I remember, about 22:1 compression over uncompressed. Don't let this depress you, though, it's a great shooting format that was created for very good reasons.

As (arguably) good it is as a shooting format, it's merely an OK editing format, because,
a) it needs to be uncompressed on the fly for editing, with a significant processor load, smart software helps!
b) its color resolution isn't that great, doesn't look that good if you do a few generations of rendering, due to the compression scheme.
c) its a GOP, or, group of pictures codec. Meaning (briefly) that if you have the cursor parked on a frame, that frame doesn't exist by itself, it's been created in reference to 15 frames.

The important part for you is that:
1) Original camera tapes are a good archive.
2) Your original captures on hard drive are a good archive.
3) Vegas Pro 8 and on can do a "smart render" of M2T, meaning that if the clip on the timeline is entirely unchanged, you can render a portion with no generation loss. In this, V just directly copies the portion of the original file you're interested in.
4) There are other codecs for use in various scenarios, such as Lagarith, Cineform, ProRes422, DNxHD - lots of references to these in this forum.

Lots of info here - is this starting to answer your question?
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Vegas will losslessly "Smart-Render" .M2T files. If you do nothing more than edit your video using only cuts and save it as MPEG2 using the appropriate HDV template, then the resulting edited video will be identical in quality to the original footage.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That is awesome to know, but what about dissolves or a light colour correction? Is there any way to render that withou losing anymore quality than the already 22:1 as stated above. I noticed when I took my file from vegas into after effects to colour correct, when I brought it back into vegas it looked a little weird

YouTube - MyBowlingVideo

I am not sure what to render an M2T file from after effects as. Currently as AVI, I don't think there was an M2T option.

It is on youtube so it is already losing a bit but compared to this one with no correction

YouTube - SONY HVR-HD1000U Camera Test

I can see a difference

both of these are my footage so I know the rendering was the same.

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread but I think this relates.
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Major Player

"First, M2T is far from lossless"

Did he say that?
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Major Player

There is a not insignificant amount of loss when the HDV camcorder compresses the video from the camera section into 25Mbps MPEG2 video and records it to HDV tape. There is no further loss when the video is captured from the camcorder via Firewire to your computer as it is just a bit-for-bit file copy between the tape and the hard drive. Like I said earlier, you can use Vegas to do a cuts-only edit and the "render" will be lossless, it is just another bit-for-bit file copy except you have cut out some parts.

Now, if you modify the video in any way by adding titles or color correcting or adding any other effect, then the video will need to be recompressed and this will NOT be lossless, although if you do it right, you will only have to recompress the video once. You can convert the M2T file into an intermediate AVI file using the Cineform, Lagarith, HuffYUV codecs or completely uncompressed. The filesize of these files will be considerably larger than the original M2T file, but you can freely move the file between programs and dmodify it in whatever way you want and then recompress it into your final destination format which might be MPEG2 or h.264/AVC or something else.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You folks are awesome sources of information!

Thank you so much everyone! Am .pdf'ing this whole thread and will experiment with everything suggested!

Very cool - all of you to respond!

God bless!

Martin Bannet
Martin Bannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You should be able to render to m2t just fine. Look for "Main Concept MPEG 2".

Btw, Here are two screen grabs...
One is m2t with no fx -- clean, the other has some graphics, a keyed in bg and a chroma filter.
Attached Thumbnails
.m2t format from SonyFX1000 back to .m2t losslessly?-fx.jpg   .m2t format from SonyFX1000 back to .m2t losslessly?-raw.jpg  

Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
You should be able to render to m2t just fine. Look for "Main Concept MPEG 2".

Btw, Here are two screen grabs...
One is m2t with no fx -- clean, the other has some graphics, a keyed in bg and a chroma filter.
Yes, you can quite clearly see the re-compression artifacts.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...