rendering problems need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM   #1
New Boot

rendering problems need help

I will try my best to explain the problem. All of my footage is hd 1080 shot with a Sony V1U. When I put toghether a small project on the timeline and save it I have a sony pro project and a sony veg file. When I later import to final project it always imports the veg file even if I chose the pro project file. When I insert in the timeline and render the veg files have a caption around the entire tv screen. The pro project has caption above and below. I assume this is because of the setting DV Widescreen. What can I do to get rid of the captions and is there a way to import the pro project instead of the veg file?
Harrison Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What do you mean by "pro project" versus "sony veg file"?

A Sony Vegas Pro project file *IS* a VEG file!

If you're seeing the letterboxing on the top and bottom, it sounds like your project properties does not match your footage. Go to File - Properties and make sure the settings there match the footage on the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Yes it does have the letterboxing on the files I import but not on the rest of the project in the timeline. When I save a project it creates a veg file and a pro project,or vegas pro file. I will look at this when I get home. So when I open my project some of it has the letterboxing and some does not. I can open the project and reset the properties for the entire project or do I need to open the projects that have the letterboxing up seperately, adjust them, and then import them to the project again? It only does this when I create a project from pieces of footage and save them. I can open the file and no problem, but if I import it to another project I get the letterboxing. I hope I am not confusing you, I am already confused enough.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM   #4

A VEG file *IS* a Vegas Pro project file! So I'm not understanding your distinction.

It almost sounds like you're dropping a VEG file onto the timeline. This is called a "nested VEG" file (or nesting). Look up nesting in the help file for more details.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
New Boot

I will try to explain it a little better. When I create a project using clips from documents folder marked mt2 at the end and save it, it creates two files. One has an icon of a camera to the left and no letters at the end, just the name of the file. The other one has a square to the left and veg at the end. If I opene the file with the camera to the left no problems, no letterboxing. If I open the file that says veg at the end I get the letterboxing.

Now if I open a file with the camera to the left and import a file with veg at the end of it I get the letter boxing with the file that I import. I tried to import the copy of the file with the Camera to the left and same thing letterboxing.

Now if I open a file with the camera to the left I can import as many files marked mt2 at the end that I want and no problems. I only get the problem when I try to import a file that I created previously with mt2 files.

By changing the properties will it create a mt2 file instead of a veg file when I save it? I think that would work.
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #6

Don't drag the VEG files to the timeline unless you want nested projects (i.e. a project inside a project). The VEG files ARE your saved project files. The other files are your video clips. For the VEG files, either go to File - Open and pick the VEG file or right-click and drag it to the timeline and choose OPEN. Your nesting and I don't think that's what you're wanting to do.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #7
New Boot

Is there no way to import the video clips to the timeline without nesting? I think I fixed the problem but I am sure there is a quicker easier way. I rendered the video clips to a mpeg2 format and then imported them to the timeline and the letterboxing is gone. Now what is the best render settings to get rid of the black lines top and bottom. I have been using the dv widescreen and I assume that is the problem. I do not want to loose the quality though.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:47 AM   #8

YES. Drag the video clips - NOT the VEG files.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #9
New Boot

I must still be doing something wrong. When I create a short project using video clips and save it. It will not let me import the video clips. It always imports the veg file, even when I select the the 1080 video clip file with the camcorder icon to the left. When I render the video clips to a mpeg2 file it lets me import it. Is there no way to just import the file composed of seperate video clips without rendering it first? Also what is the best setting to use when rendering the video to get rid of the captioning top and bottom? Sorry for dragging this out but I just can not seem to get this to work.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM   #10

Here's the process:

1. start a new project
2. Drag VIDEO clips to the timeline
3. Do some editing
4. SAVE as a VEG file (which is your PROJECT file)

When you want to do more editing:
1. OPEN the VEG file (don't drag it to the timeline, OPEN it with File - Open)
2. Drag more video clips to the timeline as needed
3. Do more editing as needed
4. Save again which will update the VEG file with your new edits.

etc...
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

NM. Edward answered it better.
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Cummings View Post
I will try to explain it a little better. When I create a project using clips from documents folder marked mt2 at the end and save it, it creates two files. One has an icon of a camera to the left and no letters at the end, just the name of the file. The other one has a square to the left and veg at the end.
I would say there's your problem right there!

That's one (of the many) thing(s) that really annoy me about Window's default settings!

The first thing you want to do before anything else is turn off the "hide the extension of file types known to windows" setting (in control panel) - that will eliminate 90% of your confusion, as you will then be able to see all the file-types you're dealing with. This is particularly important when using this type of software where you may have several files - all with the same name - differing only in the file type/extension.

In your particular case, the file without the extension is your original video file {edit: which you will see as AVI, M2T or whatever it is once you've changed the windows setting as above} and the one with the VEG extension is the Vegas project file

Last edited by Steve Renouf; February 2nd, 2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...