still image length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

still image length

I realise that I can adjust the length - in seconds - of how long each still image I import into a project will run, but as far as I can see this is one setting that affects all images.

Is there a way that I can accuratley set a number of seconds for each image to match voice-over, or is the only way to just drag the frame out along the time line?
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

To the best of my knowledge the ways you described are it. The global setting OR set each one individually. Sorry, I too sometimes wish there was a way to do it.

Hmmm, actually there is but it's more work than setting each one by itself.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like you need to use a script. A script can flexibly change the length of events on the timeline. Scripts can work on selected images so you don't have to do them all at once and you can do them more than one at a time.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Edward, I am still getting to grips with many of the basics (hence this question!) I have no idea about scripts or how to implement them.....yet! I wouldn't even know where to start
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #5

Scripts are great and can automate MANY tasks. You can see the built-in scripts by going to Tools - Scripting (assuming you're using the PRO version). A newer version is called a "custom command" which, once installed, can be found under tools, view, and edit - Extensions. There are many free and some pay scripts out there. I would be lost without my scripts.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I am a total script-hound, and an extremely happy user of Edward's "Excalibur" paid script package, as well as a number of the free-ware scripts offered to the Vegas community by him and many others.

I'm not aware of an existing script that gives you ready access (with fewer clicks) to the still image length.

Until such a script is found or written, here are some workflow possibilities:

a) drag the edges of still-picture events on the timeline, as noted by the OP.

b) "batch" your drag-the-edges approach, by dropping a timeline marker at the in-point for each still, use ctrl-arrow to navigate between markers, double-click on the desired still in explorer to insert it (at the default image length) at each marker. Then, go through the timeline and click-drag images to fit.

c) set prefs such that double-clicking loads clips in the trimmer. Create a selection on the main timeline (perhaps using markers as above, using shift-ctrl-arrow to make selections). Load a still in the trimmer, double-click on it to select the whole clip in the trimmer timeline, and select the "Fit to fill" button (lower right), to insert on the main timeline.

Note that this last method has some restrictions - if your default image length is 5 seconds, it will only allow a fill at 20 seconds (4x) or less. Increase the default image length in prefs to 20 seconds, and you can fill up to 1:20, if needed.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Philip, If I did this right, you'll see a zipped file of an old script I found called "Slideshow To Markers" that will hopefully do what you want.
In an nutshell, create markers at the beginning of each voice-over segment.
Your images need to be in a sub-folder in Project Media called Slides.
Make sure they're sequentially numbered.
Run the script, follow the on-screen prompts and you're done.
The images will fill the blank spaces between each marker.
I just tried it here on Vegas Pro 8.0c and it worked.
Please let me know if you have any problems with the script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SlideshowToMarkers.zip (3.8 KB, 42 views)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8

The slideshow to markers script Mike posted should work fine. You just need to place markers at the beat where you want the new image to start. You can just play back the timeline and press "M" as it plays to get the markers in place.

Seth, Excalibur *can* change the length of a bunch of images at once. So if you had a bunch of 5 second clips and you wanted them all to be 8 seconds, Excalibur can do it in a snap. I think the slideshowtomarkers script would work well in this case, though.
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Mike: that's brilliant, thanks very much I haven't had chance to try it (probably wont until the weekend) but yes, it certainly sounds like what I am looking for, it will really help as I am working on a historic teaching film project that entails more stills than it does video! approx 130 still images in total it's been a nightmare just organising them as some need to be shown two or three times!

It was one of those five minute jobs I volunteered to do!!!! - moral of the story? NEVER volunteer!

To all - thank you all so much for all your continued advice and guidance (and patience!)
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Trustee

I recently did a project that was all still images, although cut rapidly together as a psuedo-stopframe animation.
It was pretty easy to determine the duration of each sequence of images as it related to that section of voice-over, then divide by the number of images that would be in that section, to set the needed Still Image Duration.
So I only had to change the Still Image Duration for each section of images and it was both quick and easy to drag everything onto the timeline without having to set a lot of markers or use a script. Depending on your project that may be a helpful tip and it was certainly easier than dragging the edge of every image placed on the timeline.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #11

If you want to add Ken Burns style movements to the images, you might want to take a look my newest script - Montage Magic. It simplifies the process of adding the beginning and ending movements points and smartly places them based on the assumption that faces are the primary area of the photos.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...