mxf in Vegas Pro 9.0c under Vista x64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 20th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

mxf in Vegas Pro 9.0c under Vista x64

Guys, I'm experiencing problems with mxf file handling in Vegas 9.0c (both 32 and 64 bit versions) under Vista x64. SCS Tech Supp cannot help, but before I do a clean OS /apps reinstallation, could you please help me by answering the following questions?

Please note: it only applies to anyone running Vegas 9.0 under Vista x64, and having access to the XDCAM EX 35 Mbps and/or NanoFlash 100 Mbps MXF clips ! This problem is not showing for me in Vegas Pro 8.0c (under XP, Vista or 7), nor in Vegas Pro 9.0c under Windows XP, Vista x86, or Windows 7...Also, even with VP 9.0/Vista x64 combination, I don't have such issues with any other format!

1. Did you have VP 9.0 -64bit installer procedure failing at the very last step, with the "your system has not been changed" message?

2. When playing back a long mxf timeline for the first time, does your RAM usage (as reported in the Task Manager) increase at the rate of some 0.1 GB/sec (e.g. 3.0, 3.1, ..., 7.99, Slowdown, freeze, CRASH)?

3. When smart-rendering 35 Mbps mxf, does your RAM usage increase as per point 2 above?

4. When smart-rendering a 100 Mpbs 4:2:2 mxf file larger than some 0.5GB, do you get proper results (i.e. a 100 Mbps mxf file), or do you just get a clip with audio only?

Well, I guess answers to the above questions would help me tremendously...

Thanks,

Piotr

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 20th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Piotr,
I used MXF files in Vista 64 with no probs up until a cpl of months ago, now on Windows 7.
I may have an answer regarding point 2 and 3 re your Ram usage though, when rendering make sure dynamic ram preview is set to zero in preferences, I mentioned this in another thread the other day,
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...-pro-9-0c.html
Maybe this will help.
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Gerald,

Decreasing dynamic RAM preview buffer indeed helps, but so does increasing - the mxf playback RAM usage stabilizes for a couple of seconds after *any* such change (I tried 0 MB, 4096MB, and many settings in between those extremities). But then, it goes up again...When I play back a specific portion of timeline that already have been played back in the same Vegas session, the memory usage is stable - this is a proof Vegas allocates memory for the frames, but never releases them (well, this is my theory)...

What's interesting, mxf playback and smart-rendering are OK under VP 8.0c on the same machine, hence my suspicion that the problems with 9.0 began with the initial partially successful install of its 64bit version (as per my point 1). On the other hand, the 9.0c-32bit suffers from the same issues, so I cannot be sure.

The purpose of the above "questionnaire" is that - should at least one person confirm having the same behaviour - I'd refrain from reinstalling my OS/apps from scratch, but wait for the next Vegas release (9.0d) in hope it could solve it for me. I'd hate to waste time for re-installing my otherwise perfectly functioning system only to discover, that the mxf problems haven't gone away!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...