Multicam issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Multicam issue

Good afternoon,

I have used the multi cam numerous times over the last couple years. I have a bug I must have set in the time line.

I am editing on the single track. Normally I color correct one event and then simply cut and paste attributes across the timeline.

Unfortunately some how when I click on an event, correct and copy several frames are highlighted in blue and I can not paste the attributes, I did not intentionally make a group.

This also happens if I want to cut a small section out, it will take the entire highlighted portion.

I hit U to ungroup but I still can not past to the event.

Any idea what is up? I am in 32 bit 9.0c

Dale
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you press "D" and are now in a different "mode"? Try changing back to the "standard edit" tool.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Edward,

thank you fort the quick response!!!

I tried that several time before off the tool bar and the short cut to no effect.

I then went to edit and scrolled down and clicked normal a couple times and then it worked rioght. I managed to get all of the clips from one track done quickly.

Then as I started on the other clips it froze up again and shows a light blue highlight and will not paste attributes at all.

I recently reinstalled vegas (new mother board) and all the settings are still default

I can't figure out what I am doing to cause this issue..

I have not used the excalibur multi cam but I think for the remaining two parts of this job I will give it a go!!

If you color correct first in vegas when you go to multicam you lose the color correction.

On this particular job both cameras have to be tweaked to get them color compatible, would be much easier to just do each timeline independantly.

perhaps there is a way in vegas (without having to rerender prior to multi cam) and I just do not know about it.

thanks for the help!!!
dale
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have always suggested to CUT first then COLOR Correct however if you CC first then Cut, you can place the CC on the TRACK OR in the MEDIA POOL-that way you're only correcting once for each track.
Obviously if there are clips on 1 track that require different correction than other clips I would CUT then COLOR and place the 'oddball' clips on yet another track so you can place the color correction either at track level or media pool.
For me it just makes more sense to cut, then color and to take advantage of multiple track to correct.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mike,

A simple idea, place the clips after cutting on a seperate track then color correct, great plan, I will do it this afternoon.

One other question, if after you make the single track for multi cam editing and you find out that somehow later in the video something is out of time, is there a way to get back to the original 4 tracks?

Yes, next time I will save a seperate project file before doing that!! I had that happen this morning.

Need to be finished by tomarrow!!

Dale
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mike? Nope but just in case you meant Don ;-)
I use Excalibur for multicam and I save every change I make. IOW, First after laying out the audio and video tracks for example say 2 track of each and have them syncd, I save as. then after I run Excalibur and have my cut markers placed I save as then after I run Excalibur to actually cut I save as. When/if I need to add tracks for CC or FXs or what ever generally I simply highlight the clip(s) and use the number pad on my keyboard to move them up.
I really can't think of anytime they have moved out of sync unless I have accidentally hit another key on the number pad, say 4 or 6 to move left or right.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

don,

sorry about the name change, dah!

Thanks for your work flo, I am doing the third portion tomarrow and I am going to give your scheme a good try.

It is a three hour film in hd and I broke it down so as to not be so processor intensive.

Will nest and burn tomarrow I figure, god willing of course!

Dale
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

No problem, I've been called many things, some much worse than Miike, which is actually my older sons name. Go figure ;-)

Remember, the easiest thing is Cut, Color (special FX fall into that as well), Audio. Never use 1 track when 2 or more are better and always Save As a different name after each change.

Good luck

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...