1080p You Tube Video with Sony EX1r/Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

1080p You Tube Video with Sony EX1r/Vegas

This is my first finished video with a new Sony Ex1r. Shot in 30p and rendered in Vegas to the Sony AVC internet HD30p template. While it doesn't look like the master I don't feel its too bad.

Comments welcome.

YouTube - Sotheby's Los Gatos Victorian Revival
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks real sharp. I did think the pictures flashed on screeen a bit too quickly. Kinda hard to take it all in. But it looked nice!
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

It a nice piece and the quality is good. Since you asked here's a few comments.

First I liked the voiceover (good talent choice). I saw you did some crane shots. I would have liked to see more of them and much earlier in the film because they add so much. I thought the black and white was distracting. I know you were trying to connect it with the past but I would have only done it once if at all. I personally don't like the old film look either (it's so overused in videos usually for no reason).

I agree on the transitions being too fast. Since you used a female voice (nice choice as well) I would have tried bringing her in much sooner so they would feel more like a team. Also when you were talking about the town it would have been nice to see more places like the Farmers Market etc.

Overall great work. Hope these suggestions help. I always like getting outside feedback.

Regards, Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Major Player

HI Duane,

I really enjoyed it. NICE JOB!!

Did you do any color corrections in Vegas?
I loved the graphics and the Titles. How did you do them which program?

Thanks
Matthew
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Really appreciate the comments. I agree about the transitions, but the crossfades had too much pixelation on the internet version so I removed most of them. Didn't do much color correction but did use Vegas color curve to adjust exposure. Graphics such as the 3d Sotheby's logo were done in After Effects, most of the text was done with Vegas.

Seems 30p translates nicely to the internet, but not to Blu-ray. Any thoughts on shooting 24p for both?
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nice job. I'd use fewer shots, longer shots, and fewer stills too. I like exterior shots where you see a little bit of rustling leaves or branches swaying. Started getting the slide show effect here.
I liked the graphics too. Generally I think the whole think could be half as long. My fav shots were the sailboats.

On a related note, from recent experience, those shots of the stainless stoves don't work so great with the Canon 7d :(
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Duane,
How did you handle blue daylight (windows) with yellow indoor???
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry Marius, not certain what you're asking. If you mean the interior shots where the windows are dark blue, they were just dusk shots.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Very NIce, but I agree with Marc, transistions are too fast, might have worked better with a simple cut instead of a transition and too much black and white usage.

Overall very nice and of course if the client was happy :)
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Trustee

Great job Duane. I too am interested in how you did the graphics, logo and titles. BTW, isn't Gilroy the garlic capitol? My wife is a garlic addict and would love to attend the festival.
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah garlic capitol. If you like garlic ice cream, this is your place. If you ever attend the festival, look me up. I live across the street from it.

The still graphics were done in illustrator and then saved as a png file with a transparent background.

As mentioned, the 3d spinning logo was done in after effects, rendered as an AVI file and dropped into the timeline.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...