Vegas 9c and installing virtual dub antishake at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 9c and installing virtual dub antishake

a newbie in editing, i just installed vegus onto a new computer last weekend, and cineform neoscene. i have been told that virtual dub with antishake is a great free software to remove shake from many of my willdife videos. i copied virtual dub 64bit and it became saved on my c drive. question is i dont know how to use it in conjuntion with vega..i am just learning the latter. i cant install antishake from the website i found...any help would be appreciated..

last quesittion...do i use antishake, once i figure out how to install it, with the cineform neoscene avi files? all footage shot with hdv canon xha1. thanks ahead of time for your help. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Virtual Dub isn't a plug in. It's a stand alone software. No integration, it'd be nice if there was.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

how do you install deshaker then under the virtual dub...and before editing in vegas, do you de shake the footage as an avi file from cineform?
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Once you download Deshaker, VD should see it under "Filters". CF avi's should do the trick. I stabilize then import to Vegas.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Virtual Dub isn't a plug in. It's a stand alone software. No integration, it'd be nice if there was.
This is incorrect. Well sort of. The Deshaker portion of VirtualDub can indeed be integrated into Vegas. However, I don't recommend it because it imposes some harsh limitations on how it can be used.

Best to use VirtualDub on it's own. It's an amazing piece of software.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
This is incorrect. Well sort of. The Deshaker portion of VirtualDub can indeed be integrated into Vegas. However, I don't recommend it because it imposes some harsh limitations on how it can be used.

Best to use VirtualDub on it's own. It's an amazing piece of software.
Really? Vegas see Deshaker? What limitations?
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for both your inputs brian and perrone...all my hdv is in cineform codec. apparently i am having trouble downloading deshaker, as i have the virtual dub file stored on the c drive. i realize it is not a plug in. i am trying to get to that step.

once i have deshaker, what is the next step? your saying import into virtual dub...stabilize, then save the avi file ? is there a loss of information or IQ..difference in bit rate? before i begin to edit in Vegas. I just got the vEgus software, so i am in a steep learning curve here. thanks again. bill
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would read through the "manual" http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm and then see if your questions are answered...

I also see above that your using 64 bit Vdub, I've found that the 32 bit version works better for me.
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Moore View Post
I would read through the "manual" http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm and then see if your questions are answered...

I also see above that your using 64 bit Vdub, I've found that the 32 bit version works better for me.
Yep, always start with that. The instruction page for the deshaker program is very good as well, but no one takes the time to read it.

And the deshaker is not available in the 64bit version. In fact, most of the useful VDub plugins are not available in the 64bit version so I just uninstalled it.
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Several months later since i had posted this question, and only last week just began using Vegas 9e purchased last year. in response to perrone ford, i will give deshaker an attempt this weekend...using the deshaker short guide. i will be using cineform neoscene avi files....an tips before i give this a shot this weekend. i read i am to open the file, or find it in virtual dub, add the deshaker file filter and select the source pixel aspect ratio then import the avi file? any other tips? bill
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i uninstalled virtual dub 64 bit, and installed 32 bit. under file open, i couldnt find all 32 avi files..and virtual dub had for an error ' COULDNT LOCATE DECOMPRESSION FOR FORMAT CFHD (unknown) video requirements for windows (VFW) compatable codec to decompress video. What happened?
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

CFHD refers to the Cineform codec. What happened was that VD couldn't find the playback codec it needed for your source material.

How do you fix it? I think that's a Cineform Neo Scene installation question... or, possibly, something you would do in VD to point it to cfhd.dll in your Cineform install.
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thankyou seth for helping. virtual dub recoginized three of 45 cfhd clips i loaded. so do i need to change the codec from the cineform avi files i copied so virtual dub can recognize this? . i am clueless as to how to approach this. bill
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Inner Circle

You can pursue technical support at Cineform - you've paid for it.
You can start a thread, and do a thread search over on the CF forum here.

And/or, you can work around this by selecting a different format / codec for your intermediate file between Vegas and VirtualDub. Cineform should work, and it is excellent when it does, but, other choices that you might want to run a quick test on are:

Lagarith
AVI Uncompressed (large! file sizes)
AVID DNxHD

But, really, Cineform is a great choice. I just reread your initial post and realized that you are new to this sort of work - probably solving the Cineform problem is best, as you further develop your skills. Use of these other codecs also will have challenges... with the exception of AVI-uncompressed. That will work, at the expense of large file sizes.
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Just this last weekend I set up a .VEG to deshake a large number of Cineform clips. All went well until it ran out of hard disk space (I prefer uncompressed output). I almost always deshake from WITHIN Vegas - rarely directly from vDub (although that would provide maximum flexibility). The New Deshaker Vegas script with default settings works well in most cases. You can get it for free from:

New Deshaker for Sony Vegas

It works in Vegas 9-32 bit in addition to Vegas 8, but you'll need to manually change the directory to which it installs for Vegas 9.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...