9.0c session oddities: 4 questions need answers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

9.0c session oddities: 4 questions need answers

Hi folks, I'm working on my second client project using Vegas Pro 9 (upgraded from 8.0c in March). I've noticed some issues today and I'm wondering if anyone can help me resolve them?

1. Red frames in place of JPEG images in the timeline: some JPEG images (RGB, 8-bit color) are showing up red in the timeline. They appear properly in the preview window, however.
2. Some JPEG images in the timeline appear black in the preview window.
3. Moving 2 clips together (touching) cancels out fade to black. Once they touch, the fade dissappears.
4. Video Event Pan/Crop isn't working properly: I'm trying to make a JPEG image zoom and pan across the screen. The key frames keep reversing on me (first ends up last) and the preview window does not show the same workspace/zoom factor even when I move it manually.

I'm working on a 64-bit Core i7 920 system with Vista SP2 and 6gb ram. Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Jpeg issues are a known issue in 9.0c. Use PNG instead. Apparently 9.0d fixes this but I don't know if I trust it.

As for the last two questions, I'd post that on the SCS forums and see what you get. Some very knowledgeable Vegas people over there who'll probably have an answer for you pronto.
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Perrone, my last session was all footage-based so I didn't run into the JPEG issue. I was able to sort out the pan/crop issue after my post and I'll convert the JPEGs to PNG files as you suggested.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Old Boot

Touching wont give any form of X-Fade - you have to slide one JPEG into the other.

To have media show in Preview you need to have the Cursor over it.

Your 4] I don't understand? Sorry.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Graham, actually I'm not trying to do a crossfade. I have one clip that fades to black at the end (30 frames). But if I slide the next clip next to it and they just touch (no overlap) the fade to black disappears. It's odd that just butting them together is affecting the clip?
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Old Boot

I don't get that. I can butt-together and not destroy my Fades.

However I can repro what you are "getting", but this would rely on the need to have your Events roll into each other - ever so slightly, and then I CAN repro what you are seeing.

To do this I needed to:-

1] Apply a Fade to the end of EventA and a Fade to the beginning of EventB

2] Have Snapping turned OFF (F8) -> Options | Enable Snapping click to disable

3] Push EventB towards EventA until I "think" that they are touching and I get both Fades being temporarily removed. If I move them apart again then the Fades return. I really only have to be just 1 frame overlapped then I get what you are experiencing. If you zoom in real hard you can see what is going on.

If this is what is going on with you, try leaving "Enable Snapping" (F8) enabled, and what you should feel is a slight resistance to sliding EventB into the OUT of EventA; your Fades will remain intact and you will also gain over features of SNAPPING too! Namely the Vertical Coloured Alignment feature set . . . marvellous!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Major Player

I just keep a generic still of pure black handy and insert it between two events whenever I need fade out/fade in. The black clip can be easily stretched left and right to any length.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

The only time I've seen #3 happen is if the clip doesn't actually end on a frame boundry. Shorten the clip to a frame boundry and the fade should not go away.

As for #4, I'd need a better explanation. Just put the cursor on the first keyframe and position it as desired.Then put it on the last keyframe and position it as desired. And make sure there are no other keyframes in-between. That works every time for me.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...