Burning Question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Burning Question?

How come when I burn a DVD with Sony Vegas Studio 8 , or any program, it never looks as good as a store bought DVD? I am shooting with Canon HV30 and burning project at high settings. I have a 1080p television
and Panasonic BD50 Blu-ray/DVD player. The footage looks great when shown straight from video camera with HDMI hook up and looks good on computer but not on TV after burning to DVD. Any suggestions or info?
Thanks
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Trustee

are you burning a NTSC DVD
or
a 1440x1080 HD DVD for use on a PS3 or similar?
When you watch from the cam via HDMI it is a HD picture 4 times the size of a standard DVD.
Render out of Vegas to Bluray in the Sony AVC format. This should put you in the right direction to achieving the quality you're after.
Gerald Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm guessing it's all related to settings. I know the "Movie Studio" version doesn't let you get to the Custom settings so you're using whatever defaults Sony has provided. Then if you're resizing HD to SD, you need to make sure that you render in "Best".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Trustee

There is a long thread that discusses this in considerable detail. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...d-quality.html

By my own tests, I have found that I get better results by resizing and encoding to MPEG-2 for DVD in TMPGEnc. It uses the Lanczos-3 resizing algorithm which yields sharper results, A friend has observed the same with Premiere Pro. This isn't surprising since Vegas and Premiere Pro use the Main Concepts MPEG encoder.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...