Reducing the default 72pt text size at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Reducing the default 72pt text size

Hi....In Vegas since the year dot the text size always defaults to 72pt and like the rest of the world, never use it at that size. More like 16 - 18. So how do I change the default text size to the size i like. It wuld save me quite a bit of time over the long term.
Thx
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Unfortunately there's no way of doing this that I'm aware of :-)
It's been my experience that all font software has a default size and, in Sony's case, it's far too large for most users.
Having an option in Preferences somewhere would be great.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

I haven't found a way to change the default, but have saved my most common settings into the drop down menu so it only takes one click to select the font size and selection.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What I usually do is create the first title slide, get everything the way I want it (size, colour, shadow, etc.) and then copy/paste to create more titles.
This way, all I have to change is the actual text itself.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well that's all very odd that we cant chamge the default. I'll take it all in thats guys
Geoff
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have to say I'd never even thought about it until now, but you're right, it's an unusually large choice!

I do as Mike does - get the first one right then copy and paste. What is really a shame though is if you want to change an aspect - say, colour - you have to go through each text event individually to make the change. You can't change one then [copy/paste event attributes] without it also including the text. I think the same goes with presets. Someone please tell me the workaround for this and after ten years of Vegas text pain I will be a happy man!

This is the main reason why I would like a [copy/paste SELECTED event attributes] function as well - i.e. where you can choose from a list of the attributes you want to duplicate on other events (like in Architect).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yea the cut and paste is clunky - I thought it was just me not knowing how to do it properly. Seems we all have the same problem. Revamping the text code would be very well received.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I guess that's not likely though given that we have ProType Titler (which I don't care for personally, other than for things like stroke and background colour).

Some of the more glaring omissions in the standard text generator (for me, at least) are bullets & numbering, underline, simple tables, and the ability to 'build' a text event to reveal, for example, more bullet points over time. In fact, I think that of this list only underline is catered for in PTT.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I agree that 72pt is too large for the default setting. On the other hand it is NOT odd that the default setting is not changeable...I've not see the default text size changeable in any program I've ever used. Cut and paste may be a bit clunky, but it is not that big a deal, IMO.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Inner Circle

how about opening up the generated media, set the text size to what you want and save it as a preset with whatever name you want? I've got 4 or 5 different presets like that.
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

And if you really, really, want that preset to be the "default", use a SCRIPT to add the generated media and have it always pick that preset.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...