Raylight Ultra Demo crashes P2 to avi - Avid DV XPress export to DnxHD instead at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Raylight Ultra Demo crashes P2 to avi - Avid DV XPress export to DnxHD instead

Hi folks,

I'm angered by the Raylight Ultra Demo. I created an avi file form an mxf using Raymaker and 1) when it imports into Vegas 9.0 it has lots of shash red/green bits in the video and, even worse 2) whenever I navigate to Windows Explorer the new avi file crashes Windows Explorer (I'm on XP) so I have to go to Task Manager to End Program. I can't even get to the file long enough to delete it, so I'm probably going to have to use a DOS command to delete the stupid file to stop Explorer crashing... The actually Raylight plugin seems to work fine.

I've shot an hour or so on a HVX200 at 1080/50i and 720/50pon a Firestore FS-100 so wanted a way to get it into Vegas and Raylight seemed an option but I'm now going to be using Avid DV
Xpress to Batch export DnxHD .mov files to cut in Vegas. I thought I'd share this workflow with people annoyed with Sony's lack of P2 support and who have access to an Avid system and don't want to fork out for Raylight. If anyone has any other ideas, or can shed some light about Raylight, do let me know.

Cheers,

Baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Contributor

How about using Raylight Ultra to import the MXF files directly into Vegas? That's what it's for.
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus van Bavel View Post
How about using Raylight Ultra to import the MXF files directly into Vegas? That's what it's for.
Yes, the Raylight demo plugin in Vegas seems to work ok and I can import MXF files directly into Vegas but I won't be forking out $195 for a piece of software that doesn't work 100% correctly.

Incidentally, my alternative workflow is working great and I'm happily editing away at the moment:
Import P2 clips into Avid then batch Export to DnxHD .mov and edit the .movs in Vegas

Obviously it involves having Avid and took overnight to export 3 hours of footage, but otherwise worked out ok.

Cheers,

Baldwin
Baldwin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Bugfixed released

Hi Baldwin,
over at dvfilm.com I noticed an update has been released which fixes your problems it seems
DVFilm Support Blog: Raylight Ultra 1.2.2 Released

- Fixed a bug where more than 8 processors would cause the decoder to crash.
- Fixed a bug where AVI's made with RayMaker would have a scrambled image.
- Improved playback performance with AVC-Intra and more than 2 processors.

/m

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...