HDV SCene Detection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV SCene Detection

I am capturing HDV from a JVC HD100. I want to capture in 1 whole file. However although I DESELECT the "Enable HDV Scene Detection" I still end up with a .m2t file for each time I stop and start the camera while filming!! Any idea on how to over come this problem?
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Can anyone help please with this problem. Tried using hdvsplit but got a lot of red frames. Capturing with vegas is ok, but I need to disable the scene splitting!!!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,

You cannot write to one single file if you start and stop your cam. Let it roll and you are fine. I don't think that any of the capture applications can do that. However, that is just my feeling. Vegas can not, for sure.

Christian
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Christian. Thanks for answering. But in Vegas capture setting there is the option to enable or disable scene detection, what is this option for, if as you said it is impossible to capture to one file if the cam is stopped during filming? Thanks once again for your interest in my problem.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Major Player

I capture single files all the time from tapes where I have started and stopped. That's how it's supposed to work when you turn HDV scene detection off.

However, regardless of whether HDV scene detection is turned on or off, if Vegas detects a discontinuity in the tape, whether it's a dropout or a gap in the recording, it will start a new file at the "glitch." It may be that your particular camcorder isn't making a smooth assemble edit when you start and stop the recording. This can also sometimes be caused if you eject the tape and then put it back in and start recording. HDVSplit seems to be more tolerant of these dropout and gap errors, but if there really is a small discontinuity I would prefer to be notified.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My problem is that Vegas is splitting about every second of video and creating countless 1MB files. I have scene detection unchecked. I'm using a Canon HV40 with 24F record setting. I'm relatively new to the camera but I have captured other footage without this happening. The other tapes I've captured were filmed in the PF24 setting. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. I am also using a used tpe this time but with DV I've re-used tapes a few times and never had issues.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

If you do a search, you'll find that you're not alone. This happens on some machines but doesn't on others. Just use HDVSplit to capture instead.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Weird though because I captured footage from another tap that wa done in the PF24 setting and that didn't happen. Could it be because this footage is in 24F setting which is supposed to be their native 24p setting?
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #9

You could test and do two specific recordings and see if the same remains true. If yes, then you have something definitive you can report to Sony.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

So I did test this with some footage shot in the PF24 setting on the HV40 and 24F footage. The 24F footage will not capture as a single file. It splits it into 1 second segments even with scene detection turned off. The PF24 setting doesn't do this. It works as it should. I need to capture with Vegas because I'm having trouble with footage I captured with HDV Split. I filmed at our church this past week during VBS and captured with HDV Split. I kept getting errors when I tried to render the final project. I even tried the same project on 2 different machines and got the same errors. After a few attempts it finally rendered as 24p DV-AVI. Not what I wanted but useable for that project. So are there any workarounds so I can capture with Vegas as desired?
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I read somewhere else about capturing with Vegas 7 and importing the clip to 8. Does 7 use the same capture utility that would make it compatible? If so why would 7 work and not 8. installed my old copy of 7 and am capturing now and it works so if this workaround is compatible I'm good.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #12

Sounds to me like you have a reproducable case you could send to Sony tech support.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...