rendering preview freezes at start of nested at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

rendering preview freezes at start of nested

I'm using 9.0C, timeline consists of nested projects of HDV, AVCHD, screen shots, and mp3. When rendering out, it starts like usual, but when it gets to the start of the nested project - the preview freezes. The progress countdown keeps going, but after 8 hours, it was still at 11% only (same place where the preview froze).

I know 9.0D and 9.0E came out, but I dont want to upgrade yet after reading alot cons than pros.

Also, I have changed preview ram to 0 and max render threads to 1. Still no change.
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador View Post
...I know 9.0D and 9.0E came out, but I dont want to upgrade yet after reading alot cons than pros...
With all respect, your first stop should be to see if the update to 9e fixes the problem. You can always reinstall 9c if that turns out to be advantageous.

These upgrades are designed to fix problems like the one you're experiencing.

We tend to get more people on these forums reporting problems than successes, yes. However, that's what most use forums for, to get support when they experience problems. Editors having a great experience with the latest update don't post much...

We're now in the 5th 9.0 release, the bugs are definitely getting worked out!

Another approach, regardless of what version, is to render what are presently nested projects to clips of the correct resolution for your final render, then drop all those on a timeline. I personally have not tried using nests of 1440x1080, 1920x1080, and some screencap resolution on one timeline, but, if I were experiencing a rendering issue when vegas hits a nest of a different rez than the master timeline, I'd sure try some intermediate renders.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good points. I went ahead and updated to 9.0e (32). The individual projects load and render fine. The same troublesome project (with the nested files that open fine separately) will not open. Opening progress goes to 71% then "Vegas has stopped working" error comes on.

I can always re-create the project again, but at this point its more of a challenge to figure out why its not liking the nested project. Any ideas?

...working with Windows 7 64, quad core, 4gb.

Last edited by Gerald Labrador; June 8th, 2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added OS specs
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The first thing that comes to mind is the file is corrupted. What is the file made up of? You might need to go back to the previous version of Vegas, open the file, render to an intermediate then bring back in to the most current version.
If you go back to the earlier version to open the file before you render, go thru it clip by clip see if there's anything out of whack. Maybe a PNG that's really bigger than it needs to be, a drop or glitch in the vid footage, whatever. Just to make sure.
Like I said, just the first thing that comes to mind.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I moved all assets and veg files to my C: drive, changed file paths, and they opened up.
So I thought it must be my external drive.

BUT... then it started freezing up on opening again. And if the veg files open, Vegas stops responding, then 2 minutes later, starts responding again.

Maybe its the computer overheating? I have a slimline tower thats pretty cramped with a 1g video card where the fan has barely any space.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Gerald, when was the last time you blew out the dust bunnies?
Core Temp (it's free) will tell you if it's overheating or not.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...