Documentary editing in Vegas Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Documentary editing in Vegas Pro

I'm in the process of initial post for a documentary I've been commissioned to edit.

Would like to correspond with those who shoot/edit this kind of work and use Vegas as their post production environment for this kind of situation..

If possible, I'd like to hear experiences on the pros/cons of using Vegas Pro (I utilize Master Suite apps) - I'm having to make a decision on my post environment right now and before I begin by jumping in with Vegas Pro, I want to hear what others have to say about their experiences - both positive and negative - and what challenges you ran into using Vegas Pro. Workflow tips, etc would be greatly appreciated as well. Someone who I correspond with has had issues with Vegas Pro that I haven't yet so I want to hear more so I can make an informed decision.

I currently have over 300GB of m2t files delivered via hard drive and will be selecting and cataloging clips based upon a transcribed dialog manuscript to edit with. Those clips will be transcoded to Cineform AVI's to edit with.

For those who would suggest another post production environment - provide intelligent reasons why I shouldn't edit in Vegas Pro. I will not be collaborating with anyone else on this project.

My primary editing workstation isn't cutting edge, but it's solid and hasn't given me any real reason to upgrade as yet. AVID trial would randomly crash due to unsupported hardware (Graphics Card), where as Edius and PPro seem stable based upon initial testing. Each environment has its pros and cons - not having to relearn is another reason for staying in Vegas Pro, but if required, so be it.

Editing Desktop: OS: Win7 x64 | CPU: Q9400 | Mobo: Intel DG33TL | 8GB G.Skill Dual Channel RAM | Boot/Apps Drive: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Audio Drive: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Video Source: WD Black 2x750GB RAID 0 | Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT 220 1GB

I prefer Vegas Pro not out of fanboism, but due to the interface and ability to manage audio efficiently. I will be grading as well and having 32bit float mode for final output is necessary.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

If you don't need to collaborate with anyone else, then it doesn't matter what platform you use. Go with whatever is most comfortable to you. Vegas is of course more than up to the task -- and as you mentioned, in terms of audio it runs circles around any other NLE.

One thing to consider, and I'm sure you have -- your final output. If you have to go out to HDcam, D5, Digibeta or whatever, you'll have to take the project to a shop (unless you have a card and the outboard hardware to do it yourself). Most shops are looking for a Final Cut project or a ProRes422 master from which to go to tape.

I think Vegas is an excellent choice for documentary work. With a few extra plugs (magic bullet, etc), you can literally do everything 'in the box.' (*Yes, you can do color grading within vegas).

And again, the audio capabilities are outstanding...

Best of luck --
James Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...