Trimmer vs Timeline - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Maybe this will help.
Sony Creative Software - Training - Les Stroud: Trimmer As Source Window
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Thanks for that link, Mike.

Starting at 4:45, that tutorial is a good example of using cursor position and selections to define the 3 points.

(prior to 4:45 is good info on layout options for the V8c-V9 trimmer)

As Stroud points out towards the end of the clip, there's even a 4-point option "Fit to selection" that automagically adjusts playback rate of a source clip to match up In/source, Out/source into a timeline selection area.

Editors interested in the utmost speed in defining 3-point edits should also look at the keyboard shortcuts of i, o, a, and tab; that is - in, out, add to timeline, and toggle video/audio/both. Window focus gets a little tricky, but there are keyboard shortcuts for focus, too...

(edit: and beware of the "collapse loop region" setting in options, as Edward points out below you want this unchecked to work with the i and o keyboard shortcuts)

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; July 15th, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Thanks, Mike. I had to download it and watch it offline because it required a plug-in to watch in the browser. But it is interesting and informative. I will have to watch it a couple more times to digest it fully.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #19
Sponsor: JET DV

Please note that unless things have changed (I haven't checked in 9 so they may have changed) that the "i" and "o" keys will not work if you've changed the option to "Collapse Loop Region" which is my preferred setting.

Ok, just tested it. the "i" key works fine with that setting but the "o" key does not work at all.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quite right, Edward. I've added a note to my post above, since it was still editable.

The "Collapse loop region" setting is one that I'd like to have on a toolbar button...
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I do a lot of narrative stuff, and I will regularly use the trimmer window.... depending on the length of the clip and what I will use from it. In some shooting situations, we might continuously roll as we capture three or four takes of a scene. In those situations, I can throw that clip in the trimmer, and select out the parts of each take I want to use to be intercut with other shots from different angles.

Another method that works great is to lay your master shot on the time line, which gives you a structure to cut to your closeups and overshoulder shots, etc, by laying those shots on a video track above the master as they are selected and pulled from the trimmer. You then can adjust lengths further and even split those shots as necessary.

One of the hardest things I had to learn about Vegas is there are 3 or more ways to do the same thing, and time and practice get you to a point were it all becomes second nature to look for the easiest track in a particular situation.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I think (as many have already mentionned) that it really depends on what works best for you.

Personally, I tend to do whatever feels most comfortable at that moment. One downside about editing directly on the timeline though, is that if you are working with a lot of clips at the same time, it can get quite cluttered. I like using the trimmer for this reason, but at times I also just dedicate a track as my "work area" and mute it, so that I have a space where I can rearange my clips without having to worry about where I put them. Don't know how much sense that makes, but it works for me lol :P.

Another thing I find helpful is using the trimmer to create subclips from longer clips, so that I never really have to go back and waste time searching for something in those clips. It can be a time consuming process, but when you're working on a long project with a lot of long clips, this technique can save you a load of time in the long run.

Another thing to consider is whether you could be using the space where the trimmer window is for something more useful. Often when I work on projects where there's a lot of audio work, I like to put the mixer in the place where the trimmer would usually go. Or when color correcting, I replace it with the scopes (vectorscope, histogram, etc.).

Again, it's all personal preference. Just one more reason why Vegas rocks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...