Please Help: When loading mp4 file to new project - Vegas 9 Pro crashes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Please Help: When loading mp4 file to new project - Vegas 9 Pro crashes

I have an mp4 file of a finished short film.
The size of the file is just a bit over 2 GB. The duration of the film is just under 11 minutes.

My intention is to send the film to a film festival, using an online application. This means I'll be uploading a video file of the film for submission to the festival (rather than sending a DVD by airmail).

The requirements are:

FILE FORMAT: mp4 / avi / mov
FRAME SIZE: PAL (letter-boxed, if needed)
MAX FILE SIZE: 2 GB
FILE MUST BE MULTIPLEXED (Meaning no separate video and audio files, all should be within one file)

They recommend:
- an mp4 file
- using H.264 codec
- minimum bitrate of 2 MB/s
- sound format: PCM / mpg-2 Audio / AC3 / AAC / WMA (minimum 128 kBit/s

So I got the mp4 file from someone who has no idea what codec was used to make it or any other technical aspect of it, for that matter.

What I figured on doing is just loading the mp4 file into Vegas 9 Pro and rendering it using the recommended requirements.

The only problem is that when I try loading the file - Vegas crashes. I've tried loading the file by drag/dropping it onto the timeline and also by importing it using File > Import > Media and then dragging it to the timeline. Vegas crashes either way. It starts loading to the timeline and then Vegas is forced to close within a couple of seconds.

Does anyone have any idea how I might solve this?

Thanks.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Open it with VLC and check media info to see what codec it actually is.
If this reveals nothing of importance, Ive sometimes tried opening in Nero or Adobe or any other converter you can get your hands on, something will open it, when you find that one program, render it to Lagarith, then put it into Vegas and do what you will with it.
Quality loss is next to nothing.
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Open it with VLC and check media info to see what codec it actually is.
VLC Codec Details says codec is: avc1

As far as codecs go, I'm a bit lost. avc1 means nothing to me.

I'll try converting to Lagarith, as you say. THX
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Ive sometimes tried opening in .... any other converter you can get your hands on, something will open it, when you find that one program, render it to Lagarith, then put it into Vegas and do what you will with it.
Quality loss is next to nothing.
I don't have Nero... I downloaded a freeware converter called Any Video Converter

It seems pretty straight forward. I'm attempting to convert the mp4 file to an avi file. Then there's the part where I must select a codec. I don't see Lagarith in the list. The list of codecs it offers is as follows:

original
xvid
mpeg4
msmpeg4
msmpeg4v2
mjpeg
wmv1
wmv2
mpeg2
mpeg1
h263p
x264
huffyuv
ffv1

What to choose?
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Trustee

you just have to download and install Lagarith lossless codec to get in on your system first,
only takes 10th secs.
after that you're good to go.
:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...