Vegas Upgrade Only Available from Sony? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas Upgrade Only Available from Sony?

According to the VideoGuys website, you can only purchase an upgrade to Vegas 9 directly from Sony. Is this correct? In the past, I know I purchased previous upgrades from B&H and Videoguys for much less than what Sony was charging. This must be a new change and a way for Sony to add to their bottom line, eh? Also, I'm upgrading to Vegas 9 for 64 bit. Is there anything I need to be aware of (technical issues or problems) before moving forward with this?

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A few weeks ago I found it impossible to find any upgrade price anywhere in the UK/EU (to go from Vegas 7E to 9E - details in the thread linked below) until I thought to look at the Sony site! As you seem to be finding, all (my) usual pro video suppliers just did not have any Vegas upgrade listed. I therefore suspect you're right, the upgrade is only available directly from Sony.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...grade-how.html

In my case I had to import it from the USA and pay a little extra taxes etc. (even if you select UK and pay in Sterling on the Sony site it gets shipped from the USA and then a bill arrives for the extra tax a few days later).

But all in all, I think the price (at a little over £200) was a good one for the lightning speed and stability that I'm now seeing (probably helped by the new i7 Win 64 Bit PC I'm using too).
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Check the SCS website. They have a really good deal going on to upgrade to Vegas Pro 9:

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Upgrade to Vegas Pro 9 from Vegas
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Jay, when I clicked on the link I only saw the regular prices.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

D.J., assuming you're upgrading an older version of Vegas, Sony just announced a 20% price cut sale bringing the download version price down to US$187.96
Upgrade to Vegas Pro 9 from Vegas
Other upgrade offers here
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Major Player

The 20% off sale goes through July 31, 2010.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought Platinum a few weeks ago from Amazon for about $103 +/-. If I upgrade to Pro for $188 my total investment for Pro is $291! Why would anyone pay retail, even at Amazon?

Am I missing something? If not, I'll plunk the plastic.
Burt Alcantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
I bought Platinum a few weeks ago from Amazon for about $103 +/-. If I upgrade to Pro for $188 my total investment for Pro is $291! Why would anyone pay retail, even at Amazon?

Am I missing something? If not, I'll plunk the plastic.
Yes you are missing something.
Platinum is a Vegas Movie Studio package. To upgrade from that to Vegas Pro is $388.
The $188 deal is for those upgrading from an earlier version of Vegas Pro to the current release.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...