Multi-cam editing question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 20th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Multi-cam editing question...

I have another quested related to multi-camera editing.

How do you "explode" the tracks that are combined into the single multi-cam editing track? My issue is this: I synced up the footage with the three cameras, but when I was Control-clicking to select the tracks for the multi-cam, I accidentally grabbed the three video tracks and two of the audio tracks. The result is that when I switch to the take of camera 3, it switches the sound to camera 3 as well and cuts out the sound from camera 2 unless I switch back. Camera 1 is unaffected because I didn't select that track when building the multi-track. It's actually sitting beneath the the multi-track muted. I would like camera 3's audio down there as well, but low in the mix, but because I saved the project after the multi-track was created, I can't undo the combination.

Any help would be appreciated...
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Short answer: you don't. I've seen some scripts that supposedly do this. However, you're basically just duplicating the tracks and choosing which "take" to keep in each track.

The generally selected solutions to this are:

1. Duplicate the tracks before creating the multi-cam track so that you can always go back to the duplicate copy.

2. Use one of the scripting options like Excalibur or Ultimate S which do not have this issue (and are also more flexible in how various things can be done).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I stand by Edwards statement, and for multicamera work, I recommend Excalibur plug in or Ultimate S. If you are not familiar with these products for Vegas, they make your life with Vegas MUCH easier. They both do many of the same things, and either of them would be an excellent choice for doing multicamera edits. I personally use one of them for editing weddings and I couldn't live without it. Sony Vegas multicamera is not user friendly, IMO.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I've simulated "exploding" my multi-cam trak by doing the following, assuming a 3 camera multi-cam trak:
Copy and paste your multi-cam trak twice, so that you have 3 multi-cam tracks now.
Go back to each multi-cam track and use the "t" shortcut to choose the different take for each one.
The result should be the same as 3 tracks with the three cameras seperated again.
Please feel free to let me know if I've missed the point of your troubles, or have left a nuance unaddressed. I typically do on my first attempt.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Major Player

It ended up being faster just re-syncing the tracks over again. Two of them had running timecode that matched, and it was just a matter of lining up the third one.

Thanks for all the replies, though. It seems like Vegas should be able to un-combine the tracks natively. Even if it means having to re do all your cuts.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...