Does Preview Window quality setting affect quality of Capture Snap Shot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Does Preview Window quality setting affect quality of Capture Snap Shot?

I haven't had much need to use the CAPTURE SNAP SHOT feature in Vegas, but each time I have used it I almost superstitiously set the Preview Quality to BEST before capturing the snapshot.

I'm pretty convinced that the quality of the jpg which is captured is not at all affected by the Preview Window quality setting, but I do it anyway....

Recently someone asked me about exactly the same issue, so I told him I'd ask here.

Thanks
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Major Player

To capture snap shot in vegas. The preview window should select BEST before your capture or your captured snap shot will be crappy quality. At least this had been my experience.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

The snapshot feature has always captured at the PREVIEW resolution. So if you had it on draft - auto, that's what the snapshot wold look like. If you had it on Best - Full, that's what the snapshot would look like. That's why there's so many "snapshot" scripts out there which automatically change the settings for the best possible capture, save the snapshot(s), and then reset those settings back to the original values.

I believe this functionality has been changed in the most current release, though, I just tested in 9.0e on preview-auto and I got a full sized image even though my preview is smaller.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

good to know. I'll check the scripts as well. thanks ET :)
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Trustee

Also don't forget that if you're using interlaced footage, you'll need to set the project properties to progressive and de-interlace mode to interpolate, otherwise you'll capture both fields and end up with interlace atrifacts.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Also don't forget that if you're using interlaced footage, you'll need to set the project properties to progressive and de-interlace mode to interpolate, otherwise you'll capture both fields and end up with interlace atrifacts.
The script versions do that automatically and, I think, the latest Vegas version does that automatically as well. According to the ReadMe file, these were added in Vegas 9.0d...

Copy Snapshot to Clipboard and Save Snapshot to File now deinterlace interlaced images and operate at Best (Full) resolution if the Video Preview is set to (Auto) size and Good quality if set to Draft or Preview.

Copy Snapshot to Clipboard now performs pixel-aspect correction like the Save Snapshot to File command.

Added Copy Snapshot to Clipboard and Save Snapshot to File to the Trimmer.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Major Player

:)
i was just about write that if there's a script for the preview settings, i'd imagine the script would also take care of the progressive scan bit.
Adi Head is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...