large video project, error when opening at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Major Player

large video project, error when opening

this keeps happening to me when I am editing long format projects with lots of video clips in the project bin:

I will close the file for the day, or even just minimize it and when I go to re-open, vegas won't find a large portion of the video files I was just editing with. It will give an error message saying it cant locate clip number xxxx then ask if I want to pick a replacement or skip.

anyone else have this happen? any ideas what I can do?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Ian,

This is similar to something I deal with on a very regular basis with Vegas. Though our problems aren't exactly the same, maybe reading my solution will help you with yours.

My issue is opening a project I've been working on and Vegas has somehow replaced one of my video clips with a different one. The audio is correct, and when I click on "Properties" of the wrong clip it reveals that the name of the file is correct. So Vegas is confusing the hell out of something.

Try this: Open a new project. Copy the section in the old project that is giving you trouble. Now, paste that section, as is, into the new project. Replace the media with the same file that it should be. Now copy and paste this new fix into the old project and save. That might fix it.

If not, when you paste the "broken" section into the new project, replace it with a different video file first, let Vegas populate the timeline with the new video file, then replace it again with the correct file. Let it populate and then copy and paste this corrected section back into your old project.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks, I will give that a shot.

heres another question. this project is on the large side, I have about 12 hours worth of raw video that I am editing from. I have a quad core 2.93 ghz processor with 4gb of ram. every time I minimize vegas, then restore, or add material to the project media bin, it takes FOREVER for vegas to come back to life. is this just because there is so much for vegas to think about (its all HD video)?

I was reading about proxies, never actually worked with them before, but it made it sound like XDCAM EX video could not be turned to proxy files. what should I do? I have been working on the first minute of this piece, and it has taken me 7 hours to get the sound bites in, and find the right video, all just because vegas locks up for so long every time I go in and out of vegas.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

if you have that much on one timeline, Vegas is going to choke.

You are better off breaking your project down into separate Veg files and then editing that way, then embed those veg files into a master veg to render accordingly.
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Major Player

I only have one minute on the timeline, the 12 hours or raw is in the project media bin.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Try disabling the 'Close media files when not the active application' setting. I like having that normally, I'm sure it's the default, means you can minimize VMS and replace any file currently in use in your project. But maybe for so many big files it's just way too much to go all the way back through and re-open.
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

4 gigs ram?

I also have 4 gigs of RAM, but when I try to render, I often get a message saying Vegas is out of memory and to try closing other programs. Although I always close other programs, I still get the message even though my project timeline is only 35 min. I'm using Windows XP Pro 32 bit which doesn't recognize more than 4 RAM. Any suggestions? I'm have an Intel i7 920.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
thanks, I will give that a shot.

heres another question. this project is on the large side, I have about 12 hours worth of raw video that I am editing from. I have a quad core 2.93 ghz processor with 4gb of ram. every time I minimize vegas, then restore, or add material to the project media bin, it takes FOREVER for vegas to come back to life. is this just because there is so much for vegas to think about (its all HD video)?

I was reading about proxies, never actually worked with them before, but it made it sound like XDCAM EX video could not be turned to proxy files. what should I do? I have been working on the first minute of this piece, and it has taken me 7 hours to get the sound bites in, and find the right video, all just because vegas locks up for so long every time I go in and out of vegas.
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Major Player

i get that one a lot too.

now I am getting a lot of renders that don't actually finish. I am starting to think about switching NLE's.
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Options - Preferences - Video tab - what is the ram preview set to? You might try using a smaller value there. I wouldn't drop it to zero but you can drop it to 16.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Major Player

thanks edward, I keep that setting pretty low, and it has no effect.
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Ian, it might be possible that it's your windows virtual memory setting? Sometimes when minimizing programs data will get swapped out of ram and that might be just too much? However, 12 hours is a lot of footage, maybe try dividing the project into 3 or 4 parts.
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...