Multiple RENDERING instances In VEGAS 64 bit (Performance Question) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 10th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Multiple RENDERING instances In VEGAS 64 bit (Performance Question)

Hello all.

I'm currently rendering THREE instances of Vegas 9.0 (64 bit)

I am running an i7 980x CPU with 12 gigs of RAM.
All cores are running at 100% with only 6 GIGS of memory used.

My question is one of performance....
Would my page file on C: relate to performance at all ?

Everything is so delayed now, even my typing is delayed.... folder take ages to open. IE explorer is slow.. I have very poor system responsiveness.

Is this normal ?

I thought with these new processors we could do this and keep working in the background :)

regards
Chris
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Major Player

If I have just one rendering instance of Vegas going, I see 95 - 100% CPU usage. With three instances running, I have no doubt you are at in the same range unless the instances are competing and waiting for IO, which they are if the source material is coming from the same drive for multiple instances. On top of that, with three instances, I am sure you have a fair amount of IO going on already, so the system is going to be understandably slow about loading or responding to anything else whatsoever.

I would strongly suggest you open up Task Manager and see what it has to say about CPU utilization.
If you're at 100%, then you're at 100% and there is no more, regardless of how new the processor is.

Last edited by Bill Koehler; August 10th, 2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There little to no speed advantage to rendering multiple instances as it just takes that much longer to render. If you render one at at time the render will be much faster, and you can still work.

As has been pointed out, rendering takes up a large percentage of CPU resources. The key word is percentage. It doesn't matter which processor you use, it is used to the max thereby making rendering multiple instances inefficient, other than the fact you can start two or three and leave them and come back later.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill and Jeff.

Yes Bill I already had a lot happening on top of those three renders, and they were all reading from the same drive

I should have known better and i'm always over estimating what our new CPUS can do... Just had to make sure though

cheers

Chris
Chris Amana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...