Memory use in v8 / v9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Congrats...in the meantime you can install Vegas 9 on your Vista configuration...reinstall on Windows 7 later...remember it is optimized for Windows 7, I believe, so if you have an issue or two wait until you install your new OS for a final judgement!

Newegg is a good place to look for your Windows...you can also buy in person from Microcenter if you have one locally, they often run sales. Newegg is $20 less than microsoft right now.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade

ooops, I see Ian you are in UK...my tips for Windows purchases are of no use to you, I'm sure. good luck

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 16th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Before you pay full retail for windows 7, check out your local Kijiji or ebay, etc. I've bought 3 copies of Home Premium 64bit now for like, $40 each. Make sure you get the authentic CoA though, so if there are any disputes (serial number in use, etc.) YOU have the certificate of authenticity to show you own that #.

I cringe at the very thought of giving Microsoft any money (and buying 'em second hand makes that issue cloudy :), but I gotta say, Win7 64bit is the first version of windows since 3.11 that I actually really like. It really is very stable and far, far (far, far, far) improved over Vista. And the UI really has some awesome little gesture additions that are very convenient. For programming, there are some oddities with both Win7 and 64bit that you need to be aware of (by that I mean, when you're still programming 32bit), but it's head and shoulders (and then some) above the Vista that came with my machine. The taskbar is probably one of the best immediate improvements. Do some real research though before you choose on a version of Win7. I've only got the Home Premium and I don't find anything that I really miss. If I have an app that absolutely cannot run in Win7, I use the free version of VMWare to run it in an XP virtual machine. But, I've yet to find anything that actually has any problems. YMMV though.
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Craig and others for the advice. As I type I am installing Win7/64 as my sole OS. To be honest, a good old spring clean was way overdue so this makes me take the plunge. Let's hope it's not a nightmare installation!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hopefully your hardware is fairly current, and you'll have no driver issues. I found the installation of Windows 7 to be the best of all OSs, as I didn't have to to manual installs of ANYthing after installation except for one of my RAID cards. Windows 7 had the drivers for my MOBO soundcard, and everything else...it is sweet.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Ian, how do you like Windows 7 so far?
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #21
Inner Circle

So far so good, Jeff. I've been using Windows 7 on a laptop for quite a while now so I'm familiar with it already, but this is the first 64 bit version I've used. I only have 4Gb RAM so that's something I will need to address when cash allows!

At this time I'm still in 'organise' mode, i.e. I'm reloading software. I am trying my hardest to ONLY install the software I really need on this machine, in an attempt to keep it as lean as possible. I suspect I will fail . . . . ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Good luck with that!
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #23
Major Player

Ian I'm just about to do exactly what you are doing. I've been using V9 on a Windows 7 corei7 laptop for a few months now and I love it. Really stable. On the other hand I've never touched my edit machine with V7 on XPpro because it runs sweetly but it's high time I benefitted from the new features and render options for example in V9 so I'm going for a re-format and clean install. Hope I don't live to regret it.

I too will be aiming to install software on a 'only if I absolutely need it' basis!

Hope your install goes well!

p.s Please tell me you are not in the middle of a project?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:37 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I'm always in the middle of a project so there's never a good time! I'm currently building ten tutorials for a client in the US and those are quite involved. No problems yet, though. My other major job at the moment is a DVD documentary about a 1950's RAF aerobatic tem due for release in November - thankfully I'm only at the stage of sifting through hours and hours of footage so a 24 hour break from that was quite welcomed!

So far I'm very pleased with Vegas 9/64 under Win 7/64 and I'm glad I waited until a later point release rather than diving in on day one. I've only got 4 GB RAM, so as soon as I have some spare cash I'll be doubling that (I think that will be the max the mobo can handle). I'm fairly convinced that I won't look to install a second OS (ie a 32 bit one) but I have installed 32 bit Vegas for the occasions when I might want to use MB Looks. So far I haven't installed any other apps except for utilities like FTP, ISO burning, compression etc. My plan is to install After Effects, Photoshop, Sketchup, Cakewalk Sonar, SonicFire and, of course, DVDA.

You'll recognise these as famous last words . . . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...