maxizing deshaker footage for hdv and avchd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

maxizing deshaker footage for hdv and avchd?

I have been attempting to deshake difficult footage of sea otters, humpback whales etc taken from a small boat or kayak in large waves with the camera (hdv canon xha1, and avchd canon xhs100). pass one and two settings have been varied. slow motion change is accomplished very well...as the cineform conversions apparently changed the original 60i footage to 29.? progressive. i must have converted camera footage not knowing i changed to progressive. i have set the block from 30 to 12, slower, but i am not seeing much change in pass1 between 12 and the default 30. pass 2 i set the pan rotation etc from the default 1000 to 4000 except for zoom. also set remember 30 frames in front and back etc.

question...any particular settings might help with the sometimes jerky movements of the camera in tough waves..sometimes shot with telephoto setting that increases the amplitudes of movement. seals for example...steady footage then a wave crest comes under me and i sharply move the camera compensating my balance in the water. shakes cause some momentary blur in the footage. i used 'no borders' and the edges are filled but are blurred and do not replicate the water or rocks...i am using 1000 for horizontal panning, rotation etc, for motion smoothness, previous frames set at 30, and extra zoom factor set at one scale set at full, pixels set at all. this is difficult footage to adjust..but awesome footage of otter behavior etc. i am not sure if i have destination pixel aspect under pass 2 correctly marked. the sharp camera movements seem to ruin the footage.

any suggestions from those who are experienced with deshaker? i have attempted to glean the deshaker forum, not much there....the edge compensation is my delemna and muting sometimes sharp camera movement. thanks in advance. i of course tripod all other footage on land. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...