Viewable text area within text box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Viewable text area within text box

I have set up a new PC with a 24" Hi-Res. monitor, and find that in Veg.9 the Media Generator (& other boxes), edit box, - the title area (where you actually type,) is then too large and has fat scroll bars & text icons which make it very awkward to use.

Of course I can re-size & re-position the whole box OK by the dots & edge handles BUT, the actual working area box within its boundary box, stays put, so when I reduce the outer box to be a workable size the inner box then becomes out of proportion & creates these big scroll bars. I am using 1920 x 1200 screen resolution.
I simply don't wish to have this box "fill the whole work area everytime I want to edit text and feel that it should be in proportion where I can still see it all as a mini screen, similar to the video preview area and hence see the text as a mini "Full Screen" as I type. In other words I don't want to change the work area layout to do this.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Im not exactly sure I know what you mean,
but,
If you just want to be able to read the whole of your text in the text window (which cant be enlarged ),
you could reduce the size of the text by as much as you need so you can see all of it,
then go to the Properties tab and use the Scaling slider to scale it up in the project,
then if you need to adjust the size further, you could do it with Pan/crop.
sorry if this isnt what you meant.
:)
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Gerald, but what I need is simply to be able to view the complete text window within its box because it is just too large in its area and I have to use its local scroll bars to navigate around its small screen.

However, I may be doing things wrong as when I click on "Text" & select "Sample Text", I can drag it across and the text shows in a complete separate box, BUT the only problem in doing this is that I can't actually edit it !

What I am simply trying to do is place some text over a video clip in the timeline.

RonC.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #4
Trustee

ok,
just a guess, but are you undocking the text window, grab the 6 small dots at the top left of the window and pull it to wherever you want on your dual monitors. Even after closing it will re open in the same place every time after.
Also if you go FX- Legacy plugin text- this FX shows your text in the window more like a text document, you could have a few paragraphs before needing to scroll.
also when adding text IMO it is easier to just add a track above, right click, insert text media.
Saves a cpl of clicks.
:)
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Ron, if you want to give us an exact sequence of events, perhaps we can see where you're going wrong. An illustrative snapshot might help as well.

As for the text editing section of that box, it is NOT resizable so you have to work within the size that's there.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What is the resolution you've set your 24" monitor at in windows? I too am unsure of what you're experiencing, could it be due to a windows monitor setting of lower than 1920x1200?
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks everyone. Some of your questions were answered in my first post, - (Res. 1920 x 1200 & docking by the dots).

I am trying to place text over a clip in the timeline so the text shows on the video. I was selecting "Text" in the media generator and dragging the checquered default text over the clip and a text box opened up which I could not see completely until I expanded it. Now Edward has confirmed that this internal box size cannot be changed. - OK.

However, it does not do what I expected as it blocks out the video underneath. I now have tried Gerald's suggestion of putting the text on a separate track above the video and it works. So I guess all is OK. I suppose that is the way to go but I thought it would have worked in a quicker way by dropping it over the video itself.

(Win 7 64b, Intel i7 930, 2.8g)
Maybe there is another way, so I would welcome your expert advice.

Many thanks for your help. ( What a great forum this is !)

RonC.
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Perhaps this is what's missing:

Track 1 - Text generated media
Track 2 - Video to be under the text

The text generated media always goes on a track ABOVE the video track. If you put it on the same track as the video, it will REPLACE the video in that section.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Many thanks again Edward. Now I understand.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...