Vegas Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 9th, 2002, 02:54 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Vegas Video

Does anyone have the Vegas Video website handy? I keep hearing good things about this software, so I thought I should go and do some reading. Thanks!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 08:29 AM   #2

http://sonicfoundry.com

I've been using this software for a year now...will NEVER go back to Premiere. I've talked to people who've used FCP and they think VV3 is better. Rumor has it that vv4 will have 5.1 surround sound incorporated in it.

Also, look at SoFo's Noise Reduction plugin.....it's a nice addition to VV3.

Hope this helps.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Rextilleon

Frank---www.sonicfoundry.com---download the demo and the pdf manual--the key is to read the manual with this baby because on the surface it seems so simple but it goes very deep--
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's the direct download url:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=363

Vegas is the best program I have ever used for editing video. I frequently have the program open for WEEKS at a time without a crash. It has a LOT of buried power once you start digging.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:16 PM   #5
New Boot

There is also a 'free" 3D plugin now available at http://www.debugmode.com/pluginpac/

Check it out. It makes Vegas even better than it is.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:55 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Thanks for the link. I read about that 3D plugin---seems interesting.
Old November 9th, 2002, 09:55 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Also, look at the WinMorph plugin at the same site! It is a very interesting plugin.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Frank, you won't regret going to Vegas. Especially if you plan on doing serious editing on a laptop. Just need an OHCI compliant 1394 interface (they all are pretty much that way now).

Douglas Spotted Eagle did the VAST tour using a Sony Viao, a Mona external pro audio rack using a cardbus interface and an external 1394 HardDrive. Doing realtime previews of even the most complex video/audio effects.

Joe C.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 04:18 AM   #9
Outer Circle

This may be a stupid question..., but will Vegas do PAL?
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #10
Rextilleon

YES!
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 07:47 AM   #11

Hey Frank...

The demo version is FREE. Seems like all your q's would be answered if you'd try it instead of using up bandwidth.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #12
Major Player

1st 140 pages of VV manual

Hi all,
I was printing out a second office copy of the VV 3.0 manual, and my printer ran out of ink while unattended.

By the time I got around to filling up the ink tray it started the print job over from page 1......ugg

The reason I posted was this.....I hate to see all of this nice color printing and paper go to waste, since this is printed on a really nice printer (Phaser 850DX)..........

If anyone wants the 1st 140 (of the ~400)pages, send me an email and I'll send it to you via USPS for the cost of USA postage.

Rgds.,
Dan
Old November 11th, 2002, 07:13 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Frank, not only does it do PAL, it easily converts existing NTSC to PAL if necessary and vice versa.
Thats why I want to get a PAL camera, I know it will be a no brainer to do final out to NTSC when I'm done editing.
It will also resequence the Audio correctly, since it manipulates audio down to the sample rate (much more accuracy and control than using just frame rate).
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #14
Major Player

i've been convinsed after reading quite a bit and talking with profecional editors (i admit, i haven't tried any of it myself) that FCP is currently the best NLE software out there in it's price range.
but sinse i'm getting a pc, FCP isn't an option.
AVID XPRESS DV 3.5 seems to be it's best competitor. although in this forum there's excitement around VV3. how come i have'nt come across any seriously detailed and elaborated head2heads of VV3 vs. FCP or more interestingly VV3 vs. XPRESS DV 3.5 based on use of both products?
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #15
Rextilleon

Sonic Foundry doesn't have the marketing dollars to go head to head with Apple, Avid etc------there have been feature comparisons and lots of discussions in forums comparing the two---The long and the short of it is that Vegas does everything as well as Avid short OMF support and EDL's---It does sound better, the codec is equal or better, compositing better, titling better and so on------The beauty of it is that it cost about 1/3 the price of Avid----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...