Sony Vegas 10 Performance + Multi-Cam Support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Vegas 10 Performance + Multi-Cam Support

I've searched through a few of the V10 threads here and haven't found too much discussion about performance improvements when dealing with regular plain vanilla HDV files. Would love to hear some experience out there if they feel there is

I know most will probably tell me that performance for HDV has been pretty decent since version 7, however I still find on my i7-920 8Gb machine, once I do some color correction, etc preview quality dips well below 29.97fps which is a pain. If it was felt there was at least a 10-15% timeline performance increase, I'd be inclined to upgrade.

As for mutlicam support. I still use the tools from Vasst to accomplish this because I found the introduction of Multi-Cam in V9 to bee pretty.. well.. lame... I've seen some sparse reports that they have upgraded this area of the software but curious if there is some first hand experience out there with it.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Vegas 10

I am editing with vegas 10 now after working vegas for the last 10 years since version 5. I work (as of late) mostly with 1280 by 720 for the internet and most delivery to DVD for now. I always do color correction last espeically if I am using a plug in. I think this is a pretty standard work flow for most for performance. I actually do not understand what you meant by performance dips below 29.97fps...If you mean the preview changes from full to half , this is normal for heavy effects. I am working on a quad cor machine running 64 bit ultimate vista with vegas pro 10 64 bit.

I also been using the multi cam in versions 8 and 9 and again in 10. I like it just fine,. I still think there will be upgrade to like a b or c version fixes some bugs however in version 10.
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Well my question frankly is whether there is a performance increase in Version 10. Yes, it's normal for there to be timeline performance pentalties when adding effects, triming, generated media, etc.. but does Vegas 10 handle those things any better than previous versions? If somebody felt it was a more efficient, speedier, quicker piece of software that would be a good reason for me to upgrade...

I still think it's pretty lame they aren't able to harness the graphics processor to help with video playback..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Upgrade or Not

Well to upgrade or not is your question....I would say wait until an update comes around for 10 if you are real critical on performance. However there is GPU enhancements in this current version, I just have not felt it yet...I also have been working with P2 files with Raylight Ultra which could be causing some of the mediocricy. It does render much faster than 8 and even 9 in 64 bit.

Peace
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #5
Contributor

Raylight Ultra uses CPU power exclusively and so playback and rendering speed can only be significantly increased by using CPUs with more processor cores. With Ultra 1.2.2 and later versions up to 32 cores are supported. In Vegas CPU loading can be reduced by using Preview Half mode. Also using a RAID and high bandwidth system bus and disk drive interface (SATA 3GB/s or better) can also help, especially with 1080-line formats.
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I upgraded last week. I shoot the Canon DSLR format right now, and I notice a great improvement in handling and playback of the .mov files. It seems to playback all the frames now, at normal speed, even when I have some filters on it like sharpening and levels, and color correction, doing some tweeking.

Last night, I loaded a some captured hdv from my FX1, and had similar results.

In the past I have always used Cineform for this process, or used Epic. I think 10 eliminates the need for Epic, but Cineform will still be my codec of choice just because I believe I can do more color correction wise with it.
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Trustee

Question after reading your posts guys:
How would handle SV10 the magic bullet looks? Talkinkg about using em on a DEll x9000 extreme processor (M6300 notebook with 4gb of RAM).
Thx, very very curious about that
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...