Undo in FX Filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Undo in FX Filters?

Something I've grown use to but after revisiting After Effects for a composite, being able to undo and redo effects tweaks is pretty valuable in fine tuning and seeing before and after. Am I missing something or does Sony Vegas simply not support undo and redo within the FX Filters?
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Major Player

After a little investigating, (Vegas 8.0c), apparently there is a redo and undo but it is very wonky. It never worked for me because I live by keyboard shortcuts, so ctrl z does not work but there is a file undo command. If I make a change and then click in the timeline, ctrl Z works but in all cases it goes back to the default value and not the previous one. Am I missing something? I would like to tweak an effect little by little undo and redo to see the difference, can this be done? Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I always use the little checkbox in front of the filter name.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #4
Old Boot

Presently, and working on VP9 and VP10, the undo<>redo for FX-ing is working as I would expect it to.

OK, something you could try: You might want to track done the Vegas' UNDO and REDO Cache folder. Do this AFTER (lol!) closing Vegas. Closing Vegas SHOULD delete any UNDO and REDO temp cache files and hence you should not be able to find any. However, if you do see them, they could be very old and mouldy UNDOs REDOs, what I delete them and start over. I have had this happen in prior versions of Vegas, and I can only conclude they hang-about 'cos I have had crashes/hangs and so on and they remain.

As a Test I have allowed the Undo Folder to remain "visible" on screen as I fire-up Vegas, and watch as the first UNDO and REDO file is created and I can witness Undo and Redo incrementally increase as I make progressive changes. And finally, when I close VEgas down, I can check to see if the Undo and Redo files get zapped.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Graham for the reply. I'll give it a shot.
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Re: Undo in FX Filters?

I've just learned to live with this abnormal behavior but recently revisited this thread. There doesn't seem to be an undo to last adjustment within the FX Filter in Vegas 8.0c and a non-responsive to Ctrl+Z within FX window..

For instance, if I adjust the "Sony Sharpen" filter to .675 and then hit "Ctrl+Z" nothing happens. If I click in the timeline and then hit "Ctrl+Z" the undo takes affect.

Now that seems odd, why would I need to click outside of the FX Window for the keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Z to work? If I use Edit->undo this works fine but I'm guessing it's because I'm outside of the FX window.

Now another oddity and pita, if I go from .675 Sony Sharpen to .982 and then click undo, the Sony Sharpen goes back to default 0 and not .675. This makes making fine adjustments and comparisons very painful.

So a few things going on, Ctrl+Z doesn't work inside of FX window, have to click the timeline. Even doing this silly workaround, the undo does not go back to the previous value but back to the default value.

Anybody else experiencing this? This seems like a very inefficient way to work. Is this same behavior in your 8.0c install? What about version 9 + 10? Many thanks.
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

When you click outside the FX window and press CTRL-Z, you are undoing ALL changes to the effect - not just the last little change to one specific setting.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Edward. Do you know if there is a way to step undo my changes or is this just the way it is? If I hit ctrl+z while in the FX window, nothing happens. Thanks.

Kevin
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

This is the way it is. You can undo major changes to effects. You can't undo minor tweaking. Basically it will undo everything that happened since you last entered the FX window. I just did a test. I changed one setting, clicked out to the timeline, changed another setting, clicked out to the timeline, changed another setting and clicked back out to the timeline. Then it let me "undo" the changes one by one. I then made several changes, clicked out to the timeline and pressed CTRL-Z, all changes since entering the effect dialog were undone at once.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I wonder if that's something we could ask fx developers to consider adding into their code (if it's possible, of course).

I've just kinda learned to put up with it over the years but it certainly would be a welcome improvement.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Edward. Yeah, this seems rather silly to me and rather primitive. How can we suggest to the developers of Sony Vegas to implement basic undo stepping within FX? Many thanks again.

Kevin
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
How can we suggest to the developers of Sony Vegas to implement basic undo stepping within FX?
Sony Creative Software - Support - Product Suggestion
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Done. For others who would like this, please submit a suggestion as well. Thanks.

Kevin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...