4:3 to 16:9 in Vegas 5 + DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 to 16:9 in Vegas 5 + DVD

I just finished filming for a client, shot it in 4:3. They have asked if I can make their DVD optimized for their 16:9 TV. What is the best method? I have leterboxed 4:3 in the past, but the final project has always been rendered and displayed as 4:3 leterboxed.

I know the widescreen TV would have a zoom function, but I would prefer an output so they do not need to use it.

If I want to make a DVD that will play full screen 16:9, and letterboxed when played on a 4:3, what steps do I need to take during the edit/render/authoring?
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Chris,
Pan/crop has a 16:9 preset you can use to crop your 4:3 to 16:9. You then render it out as widescreen (pixel aspect ratio of 1.2121) either in DV or directly to MPEG2 for authoring. Make sure "stretch video to fill the screen" is checked. When you author it to DVD, use widescreen PAR and the authoring software will make the DVD playable as letterboxed on a 4:3 set or widescreen on a widescreen set.

If you didn't frame your 4:3 video for 16:9, you may have to keyframe the cropping in pan/crop.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

oh and remember that if ur using a DVX100 in squeeze mode DONT crop it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

When I capture and edit, should project settings be 4:3 or 16:9?

I tried a test with the crop, and rendering to Widescreen DVD Mpeg-2, selected stretch to fill video output, and it appeared to further squish the frame when I reviewed it, ie. the output was 16:9 but my frame was letterboxed within it.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Major Player

In Pan/Crop, under Source: set Maintain Aspect Ratio to NO. Set File/Properties to NTSC Widescreen 1.2121 and your event should look right with no black bars in preview. When you render out, select a widescreen template...for example NTSC DV Widescreen. Make sure that "stretch video to fill output frame size (do not letterbox" is checked.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Worked great, thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

dont forget to make sure that you have your deinterlacing method set to interpolate. Reason being is that youre changing the aspect itself, so some interlacing artefacts may be visible. Not always... but its safer this way.. also if ur upscaling to HD, do the same trick... ;)
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
dont forget to make sure that you have your deinterlacing method set to interpolate. Reason being is that youre changing the aspect itself, so some interlacing artefacts may be visible. Not always... but its safer this way.. also if ur upscaling to HD, do the same trick... ;)
Am I deinterlacing? Should I also change the field order from Lower to None or leave it at Lower?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

keep the field order as is, but sometimes when upscaling if u dont interpolate, your actual field lines are also upscaled..being that youll get big fat chunky horizontal bars or that ugly combing effect...
this way when interpolating, field size remains a constant
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Chris,
Pan/crop has a 16:9 preset you can use to crop your 4:3 to 16:9. You then render it out as widescreen (pixel aspect ratio of 1.2121) either in DV or directly to MPEG2 for authoring. Make sure "stretch video to fill the screen" is checked. When you author it to DVD, use widescreen PAR and the authoring software will make the DVD playable as letterboxed on a 4:3 set or widescreen on a widescreen set.

If you didn't frame your 4:3 video for 16:9, you may have to keyframe the cropping in pan/crop.

Guy,

So if I have multiple video channels, I have to do this to each channel? I'm a little lost.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #11
Major Player

I presume you mean you have multiple video tracks. Yes, you have to crop all the tracks to 16:9 in order for the wide format to be maintained in your final render.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...