Vegas pro 8 and Windows 7??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas pro 8 and Windows 7???

I am still using Vegas Pro 8 version 8.0c and not willing to upgrade that yet but I am ready to replace my Vista system to a new Windows 7 System. Can anybody tell me if Pro 8 will work ?

Thanks in advance
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It will work fine, you'll love it. Go right ahead and get your new PC.
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Tim, I've only today done just this and it works fine. Two points, though:-

1. If your version is an update from an earlier one, you may be asked to install that first if you still have the disc. If you downloaded it rather than using a disc you might be OK but the Version 8 loading Wizard should make this clear to you.

2. If you are upgrading to the 64bit version of Windows 7 you may find that some of your Plug-Ins might not work (they might have been written for 32bit only). If you bought these in the first place you may have to buy later versions to make them compatible. (By the way, some versions of Windows can apparently be opened in both 32 and 64 bit versions and I'm trying to find out more about this).

Good luck,

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
If you are upgrading to the 64bit version of Windows 7 you may find that some of your Plug-Ins might not work (they might have been written for 32bit only). If you bought these in the first place you may have to buy later versions to make them compatible. (By the way, some versions of Windows can apparently be opened in both 32 and 64 bit versions and I'm trying to find out more about this).
The bitness of the platform doesn't matter. Everything is thunked down to 32bits when you run a 32bit app on Windows7 64bit. If you run the 64bit version of Vegas Pro, then you're correct; only 64bit plug-ins will work. You cannot mix 32 and 64 bit in the same process (a running instance of a program).

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Craig Longman; November 19th, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Craig Longman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I upgraded to Windows 7 while using Pro 8. Everything worked great until rendering a project and
I had problems with Audio files. I then upgraded to Pro 10 and all was fine except for wma music files
that could not be rendered until converting them to wav format.
Bob Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

I used to run Vegas 8c 64-bit on Win 7 until I upgraded to Vegas 10. For the most part 8c ran fine for me on Win 7, but there was definitely a few times where Vegas exhibited peculiar problems. And since Sony doesn't support 8c under Win 7 there's really no where to turn to if you have a problem that could be related to the 8c/Win7 combination. If need to run 8c/Win7 now, I would do it, but begin thinking about upgrading to Vegas 10 or beyond.

Last edited by David Jasany; November 20th, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Clarifiy
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Vegas 8 wasn't the most stable of releases to begin with. Personally I would at least move to 9 if possible, if not 10. Vegas 9 runs perfectly on Windows 7. I personally disliked Vegas 8, but for the most part it ran fine for me on Windows 7, better than on Vista.
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Trustee

I had no problems running 32-bit Vegas 8 on 32-bit Windows 7. However, I did run into some problems running 32-bit Windows 8 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system, specifically with audio.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to Vegas 10. It's only $140.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I upgraded WinXP to Win7-64bit and all worked flawlessly, incl. v8c, 9c-32, and 9e-64 (except for a few really old programs).

8c is the pits for rendering, but it always has been quirk-free for editing - much better than later versions (I haven't spent much time with 10 yet). But for rendering, I always use 64-bit, except when I must de-interlace (I use the excellent Mike Crash Smart Deinterlace, which is only 32-bit); then I use 9c-32bit.

Win7-64bit has been an excellent upgrade for me. Don't give up your 8c for editing~
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Craig is right and I should have been clearer - some Plug Ins will only work with Vegas 32 bit and not with 64 bit. Sorry about that but it means that if you are using Vegas 10 you need to load both the 32 and the 64 bit versions and move events etc between them if you want to use these Plug Ins (I'm told its not difficult but I've heard that before!)

I thought Vegas 8c was a splendid editor. It was stable, intuitive to use and very slick, so much so that I've also loaded this on to my new computer.

Richard.
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks and another question?

Okay, my Desktop PC is and will be for a long time running Vista 32 bit. On it I have the orginally installed Vegas Pro 8 with the update to 8c and only the factory or "stock" Sony plug ins that came with it. The lap top is Windows 7 and as of yet I have done nothing to it as far as Vegas Pro. This is where I am right now.

Q: How do I go about moving to Vegas Pro 10 as painless as possible on each machine since they are both different operating systems and one is already running Vegas Pro 8 while the other has no Vegas at all on it yet?

Thinking aloud here, I presume my Vista machine will need to be upgraded from Vegas 8c to Vegas 10 and the new lap top will be what? A clean install of Vegas 10 or will I need to install Vegas 8 on it then upgrade it to Vegas 10 since I am buying the upgrade on line? What is the best way to go about doing all of this?

Q: Will I need to deactivate Vegas Pro on my old lap top or do you get unlimited installs or?

Thanks for all the great input above, much appreciated and very helpful!
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
Thinking aloud here, I presume my Vista machine will need to be upgraded from Vegas 8c to Vegas 10 and the new lap top will be what? A clean install of Vegas 10 or will I need to install Vegas 8 on it then upgrade it to Vegas 10 since I am buying the upgrade on line? What is the best way to go about doing all of this?
A clean install of Pro 10 is all that's required.

Quote:
Q: Will I need to deactivate Vegas Pro on my old lap top...
You can leave Pro 8 on your laptop until you're 100% comfortable with Pro 10.
Anytime you open a Pro 8 Project in Pro 10, make sure to give it a new filename so that it can still be opened to Pro 8 if you need to.

Quote:
...or do you get unlimited installs or?
Installs are not unlimited but, if you ever do max it out for whatever reason, a quick call to Customer Service will get you going again.
BTW, feel free to install Pro 8 on the new computer too.
Sony allows Vegas to be installed on as many machines as you want with the caveat that you can only be running one machine at a time.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Mike, Does this mean when I order the on line upgrade to Vegas 10 they send the entire Vegas 10 program? I was unsure if they sent the whole thing or just certain files that add to Vegas 8 to make it Vegas 10. Sorry, I really am in the dark as to how it happens when you upgrade on line like that. Please advise?

Thanks
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Tim, when you order the Vegas upgrade you get the entire version of Vegas, not just a minimal software upgrade.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Inner Circle

You can download Vegas 10 anytime. When you buy it online all you are really buying is the serial #. Same with DVD architect. They don't send you anything, so to speak, other than links and a serial #. With the upgrade they will send you links also to the freebie software that you choose at time of purchase.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...