DVD/Bluray- What do you use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM   #1
Trustee

DVD/Bluray- What do you use?

Hi guys,
Had a fun 48 hrs trying to learn Adobe Encore, (ive never really learned DVDA, whats it like?)
Encore seems very good, but, there are issues just like all software, for instance,
I used my 1048x576 Lagarith files, exported to a folder, Encore did the transcoding, stupid me just left it on automatic and I ended up with cropped 4x3.
Fail no.1
So,
Went running back to Vegas like I always do when things get tough, and rendered my files to mpeg2 from Vegas where I have more knowledge on how to manipulate the settings. The view being, to give Encore files that it doesn't have to transcode. Good in theory,
but,
Now here's a funny one, when Vegas renders Lagarith into mpeg2, for some reason when the files are imported into Encore, although it recognizes that the files are good for DVD and dont need to be re encoded, when building the DVD folder it fails every time with an error because the mpeg2 from Vegas has now got audio that is a few frames longer than the video. And when you try to shorten and match them up on each timeline in Encore, they are kind of in between frames, so they cant be exactly the same.
Fail no.2
So right now I have my original lagarith files humming away in Encore ( I found the proper presets after all that. (punches own head) ).
So hopefully in about..... 9mins time I will have exported my first Encore DVD, YEY!

Which leads into the question, Which authoring program do you use, and why?

I found it really good in Encore that I could make a menu in Photoshop, open the PSD in Encore and all the layers were automatically recognized as objects/buttons.
Could you do similar things in DVDA? Vegas can open PSD layers now, can DVDA? If so, how?
Can you drag a Veg file into DVDA as an event or menu, and change it in Vegas and have it reflect in DVDA?
How stable is DVDA when rendering? are you better off to let DVDA do the rendering rather than Vegas?
In DVDA, can you make a DVD with additional HD content for a PS3?

wow, lots of questions, lol.
Rendering time, when else would you have time to type?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...